Sign in to follow this  
hobbygodz

Micro Worms

Hello fellow forum members. Just a quickie regarding microworms. When feeding micro worms to your fry do you guys wash them at all to remove the cloudy (oats)shleck that goes with them into the tank? I had been washing them in the past, but I don't now,(streamlining/lazy! :snooze: ).

My fish are all very healthy, but I would like to check that I'm not doing the wrong thing here. Cheers & thanks guys :) , Brad.

Edited by Brad

I never wash them. I scrape them off the sides of the container. I figure most of the "shleck" (such a useful, all-purpose word) will have drained off.

cloudy oats? I don't wash, but I do only collect when the worms climb onto the side. It's mostly clean and almost no cloudiness.

ditto, I don't clean them at all either. I just scrape them off the sides of the container with a wet finger or dip the entire lid into my fry tank:P

Thanks for the feedback on this one guys. I took your advice f4u and dunked the lid, cool transfer without hurting any worms or filthing my fingers with schlekky gank :blink: . Cheers :) , Brad.

the only issue you may have with dunking the lid is over feeding them. If it's a very large spawn (say 250+) you'll be fine but if it's a small spawn you really just want to take a small scraping (eg cover the tip of your finger)only and use that. It may not seem like much but it really is, less is more with MW especially due to the fact that uneaten ones will sink to the tank floor and foul up the water...plus it's thought them decaying is the cause of ventriless fry, as they sit on the floor of the tank, surrounded by decaying MW. PS you can also buy a packet of cheap artists paint brushes from crazy clarks or something and use that to lift the MW off the side or lid..again just a small sweep of a moist brush should do it.

The last batch of fry I had only got a small finger tip scraping per feed and they all grew well and had ventrals.

Thanks for that good advice f4u. I probably should have mentioned that I'm not feeding baby betta. I've been feeding m.w. (amongst other foods)to my endlers fry and killi fry. I have lots of ramshorns in the fry tanks to mop up any excess-(of anything). 10 mins after feeding there are no m.w. visible on the floor of the tank so all is good in that area. A hundred or so endlers fry eat a lot of m.w! Reckon they would eat till they burst. Cheers, Brad.

lol, I have endlers too. The adults eat lots mw too, they actually prefer it more than dried food... I don't produce enough MW for them to eat do I alternate with dried foods but then again I don't think feeding them solely on MW is good for them. I put my cultures in a warm area so more will climb up on the sides

Hi Joan, yeah you would need a garbage bin to produce enough m.w. for a large herd of endlers! My adult endlers share the same diet as my killis and betta. They all eat well - f.d.black.w, live b.s, live blood.w, hikari micro pellets, veg flake, live mozzie larvae, + any small bugs/flies that I find. Gardneri go bezerk on live flies -they love the hunt and seem to have incredibly good eyesight. Flies can't escape the tank because there are no gaps in the killi tank lids. Fun to watch.....sick me :yes: .

Joan, when you said a "warm area" for the m.w. culture, did you mean near a window or on the top of a fridge? Cheers,-Brad. :)

Edited by Brad

Sign in to follow this