My Planted tank

Phil

have you monitored the pH with those rocks Phil? Just as a matter of interest. I'd take out the big ones on either side and leave the smaller ones, but I'd probably group them all on 1 side and leave the other side and middle for plants. So it's asymmetrical.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good Phil, but I liked it better the way you had it before. I would take the larger rocks out, move the not-so-big rocks to one side and towards the back, and have some smaller rocks scattering forwards and off to the centre of the tank. Lots of plants growing between the rocks like you have it on the right and on the bottom of the left of the tank will look great :tongue: Is the wisteria the ground cover that is in the pic?

The rocks, atleast the big ones are going. Yes, that plant is wisteria as a groundcover. i just cut out the tips with 2 nodes when they get tall and plant them between the bases, that thickens up the groundcover. All that wisteria on both sides is from one bunch :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

ok.. update.

Nothing has changed! i havent done anything to the tank, no fertilising or trimming of the plants, have just left it (obviously the lights are on everyday) I havent made a new co2 mix in about 2 weeks so they get the odd bit of co2 in the water from the remaining life in the mix. Fish are growing well though :)

I dont mind the rocks, but want to do a wood and vallis one, more natural habitat for the angels. I have priced some MH lighting, and at $250, i will save for a unit ;)

Posted Image

They actually look alot more chunky than they really are, they are about 8cm thick (the back ones) and about 4cm in the front ones. I can carry them all in one had so they arent that heavy. They just seem to take up too much space so i want them gone! :)

Ok, drastic changes have been made. The rocks are gone!

I got a great piece of wood from a paddock at work and soaked it over the weekend.

I think its much better than rocks.

Anyhow, i decieded that the old plants didnt exactly fit in with the new look so bought 6 bunches of Vallis to make it more natural and amazony, but i kept the amazon sword, somehow that fits? i still have the old plants in a bag and am thinking of putting them in another tank.

The water is still abit cloudy, so i am hoping that it will clear up fast, it was muddy thisafternoon, couldnt even see the back of the tank, but its much better now. I think that once the vallis take root and start to spread it should look much better. I am also thinking some small crypts or similar to go infront of the wood.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

The water is all stained brown now, i really like it. The vallis are growing well, sending out stolons with new plants. I need to get either some better lighting or new tubes as one end of the tank does better than the other. Here is a pic of some of the angels:

Posted Image

Archived