Dotty Spotty Cory Story

fuzzy_dragonfly

ARGH, I've been seeing spots ever since diving into the cory craze with an active enthusiasm in spotty corys.

Problem with my spotty dots is that ID is driving me up the wall, but I think I have it sorted. OK so this is how it is.

I bought 2 fish labelled c. julii (not that I was interested at the time). I came home and found out they were c. trilineatus, c. julii don't have the reticulated pattern on their head or solid line running down their body and apparently 95% of fish labeled c. julii are in fact c. trilineatus.

(Pic: CORY in front and DORA's backside.)

Posted Image

I've been looking for a couple more c. trilineatus corys to keep my current 2 (Cory and Dora) company. I found some in Auburn under the name c. julii but they were a bit dear so I placed an order in to my LFS to order me some c.julii, (I knew that if I ordered c.julii I'd get c. trilineatus, because that's was what the original batch were ordered under.)

Well they were c.trilineatus (I'm 80% sure...I think :byebye: ) but instead of the reticulated version I got a spotty form of c.trilineatus which resembles c.julii so closely it almost had be fooled when they first handed them to me. This is what I got:

(Pic: SHORTY on bottom LINUS on top)

Posted Image

Only these 2 (Shorty and Linus) are a fair bit more active and far less shy then Cory and Dora, especially Shorty, she's been scooting around my aquarium like she owns the place, bottom dweller my foot, Shorty must be the exception to this rule. They almost handed me a c.sterbai (another spotty cory) by accident but luckily they picked up on it before I paid (spotty corys all look the same to me in dim lighting :thumbs: ).

So what I have learnt, if you want positive ID and straight forward answers stay away from spotty cory's at all costs.

But if your into interesting, friendly fish, enjoy learning about cats (the fishy type of course), and surprises like me then spotty cory is the fish for you :) .

I know of someone that claims to have them, but I haven't seen pics. It's probebly spotty c. trilineatus like the ones I got today. They're really cute, they look like a different type of cory to my originals which is why I'm still a bit hesitant to say they are c. trilineatus, I'm fairly certain they are.

I asked the same question to one of the staff at one of the LFSs I visited in the search for the elusive "correctly labeled c. trilineatus". The staff member said yeah they know but they label them like that because they order them like that :alright: .

I even have an aquarium guide that has a pic of a c. trilineatus labeled as c. julii :cheer:

Oh and speaking of funny aquarium book stuff ups:

Grab your copy of J, Goldstien (2001) "Bettas : a complete owners manual" pg 56 the pic of the brine shrimp hatchery is upside down!!! :lol: (clue: have a look at the tube and bottle on the shelf) ROTFL Posted Image.

OK back to spotty corys:

Wish they could just label then the right name, it would make researching them so much easier.

But then again I wouldn't have learnt as much as I did if they were labeled correctly. It's sort of a game now 'spot-the-julii' :lol:.

I'll give a prize to the first person that finds a true c. julii at a LFS :) (I'm dead serious I will give a prize!!!) - send a pic of the fish and the name of the LFS. (it'll only be a small prize I'm afraid) but it'll be fun :flex: .

I got this expanation from www.exotictropicals.com

The Julii Cory is probably the most popular and often sold Cory. It is active and very pretty! It has bold central horizontal stripes, a spotted body, and six spotted bands on it's tail!

and also the pic.

Posted Image

I once got 3 Julii but they were completely diff to these pics. they had a large black spot at the start of the caudal. Remember finding out what they were, but can't remember now :alright: the LFS that sold them to me now have diff cories under the name Julii, I'll find out 2moz for u Klara :cheer:

The c. julii has a broken spotty horizonal stripe on it's body.

see here:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ydora/378_1.php

I'm certain that the corys in your pic are also c. trilineatus not c.julii.

It's the c. trilineatus that have bold stripes along their body.

Here's a story about the mixup:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/2001_04.php

And pics of c. trilineatus variations:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ydora/508_f.php

You can see why the spotty c. trilineatus are easily mixed up with c.julii but the reticulated version looks completely different, I don't know how people mix them up. Like Calla I don't think there is such a thing as TRUE trilineatus in Australia, but that shouldn't stop us from trying to find one :lol: .

C. trilineatus, c.julii and c.leopardus are sometimes placed under the blanket category of spotted corys, guess some people have just given up on trying to ID :lol: .

Why don't you look it up in the plantcatfish cat-e-log I'l guarantee you'll find it there, then tell us what it was so we can keep an eye out for them. You sure it wasn't c. sterbai they look very similar. I love the planet catfish site, it's got info on just about every catfish you could encounter. I knew very little about corys till recently. Corys have got to be the most adorable of all catfish with their big fat cubby bodies and swimming along like a puppy wagging it's tail :lol: .

Well kind of.... It's more like the b. splenden and b. imbellis mix up, except on a much larger scale. (best example I could think of) clowntails, red dragon, monsters, rabbit faced, half sun, full moon are just more descriptive (creative) terms for different characteristics of the same species. Whereas julii and trilineatus are different species.

Yeah true... Sad news, Linus the one on top in the second pic has suddenly fallen seriously ill :D . I've put him in a seperate tank with TC but I think it's too late, he's floating upside down, loosing colour fast and barely breathing. I've got no idea what went wrong, I introdued them to the water slowly, water chemistry was stable, they looked healthy and active when I first brought them home :dance: it's got me stumped. Maybe it was something to do with the frozen bloodworms, but I fed the same to all my fish, everyone else is fine. If he doesn't make it I'll have to speak to the LFS, I've only had them 1 day, hopefully if nothing else they give me another on a discount, I had to save up all week for these two :giggle: , I was really looking forward to these corys. I'm treating Shorty too, just incase it's contagious, so far Shorty is active as usual, but I'm watching her like a hawk.

Hmm.. klara, i just bought a whole lot of cory's from qld and i'm in doubt about what they all are. I know one is a panda and another is a c. sterbai but the other two, one was c. puntatus (sp?) not sure about the other one.. think it may be c. elegant (sp?)

Robbie, my sister (not the 16 yr old, the other one) hijacked my baby panda.. he's so cute... mum hijacked my c. elegant and i'm left with the sterbai and c. punctatus. I'll try take a pic of the panda, but I got to get me a pic hosting page first :)

I know Di, thanks for the reminder,

He didn't make it, died not long after I posted :) . Possibly new diet, stress, didn't adjust to the water? (the water tested normal) There were no physical signs of illness apart from the slight loss of colour moments before he died.

I went back the LFS and they sold me another at a discount price. Another spotty c.trilineatus, I was lucky because that was the last spotty one. For some reason I called it Lotus, don't know why, just looked like a Lotus.

Hmm.. klara, i just bought a whole lot of cory's from qld and i'm in doubt about what they all are.

I know one is a panda and another is a c. sterbai but the other two, one was c. puntatus (sp?) not sure about the other one.. think it may be c. elegant (sp?)

Hey that's OK you can send me the pics to my e-mail and I'll put em on my photobucket account. We can try and figure out what they are :) . Spotty corys can be a pain in the backside to identify, if we work together I'll bet we can identify them faster.

Archived