Spawning media

30 posts in this topic

Posted

My preference is to use bubble wrap, floated at the front glass of the tank bubbly side down. It seems to hold the nest together well except that sometimes the bubbles all run together into one big bubble! what about other people? What do you use? Why? :)

Posted (edited)

in all my spawns i have used the plastic lid of a take-away food dish, the rectangular ones, floating in the corner of the tank upside down to that the rim of the lid that connects over the container is facing the air, and the rounded bit is in the water. i lower it carefully into the water evenly so that a good sized air bubble is trapped underneath, so the male can have an imediate source of air.... i find that he will build his nest on the plastic part of the lid, not the part where the air bubble is. it seems to hold the nest perfectly.... :)

Edited by splendidbetta

Posted

I used to be a big advocate of the half styrofoam cup, but the last couple of spawns I've done I've used bubblewrap. Mainly I tried it because others had used it with good success. I'm always up for an improvement to my methods :) Anyways, the bubblewrap works a treat & the eggs and fry are easier to see & the nest seems to hold together a lot better, so for now I'll be sticking to the bubblewrap.

Posted

I'm still using bubblewrap as well, but as you know, I'm not a fan of it when it comes to fatherless hatching. Also have the same problem with the bubbles running together: it's more of an issue with very attentive fathers who constantly maintain the nest. Next spawn, I'm planning to try either the nashi pear mesh, or else a suitable leaf or broad-leaved floating plant (maybe a water lettuce?) I tried a piece of banaba leaf alongside the bubblewrap last time, but it curls up and sinks B^{

Posted

I'll use IAL if i have one available (which is rare) and nashi pear mesh or bubblewrap, depending on what i grab first and if the female is a new breeder. If i'm going to have to spend ages chasing the girl with a net, I use bubblewrap as it stops the nest from exploding when the cold air hits it :thumbs:

Posted

I am still using both cup and bubblewrap (pick whichever and put it in). But ever since I've put some duck weed (is that what it's called?? the small leaves floating on the surface of water), I notice that I don't need any of the media no more, male create bubblenest between them, fry hatch and cling to the weed lol

Posted

I've used the cup and had a dried banana leaf taped to the side with foam thingamys hoding it up which worked well (till the father ate the eggs). I'm wonding wheather it's worth giving duckweed a shot or would the roots get in the way? Hear the roots are good for fry to hide amongst. I have the stuff comming out of my ears may as well put it to some use if I can.

Posted

I have duck weed in one of my spawning tanks and find that it tends to hold the nest better, tho as soon as the net goes in to cathc the female, DW and bubbles go everywhere :cheer: right now I'm using BW due to, like Mousie said, other ppls success. Maybe I might go back to the cup, haven't tried it in awhile, might make the male actually rend to his eggs and not eat them :alright:

Posted

The best nests i have ever had are with the duckweed, here is a pic with duckweed and a cup, i need to get some more of that stuff, it was great!

Posted Image

Posted

Wicked pic Phil ;) I find that with duckweed, leave it in a bucket in the sun and it should multiply enough for each tank ;) I just put bout a hand full (scoop up with my palm and let the water drain) into the spawning tanks and it seems to do the job ;)

Posted

If you make a circle of air tube by joining the two end of a piec about 200mm it will float on the surface and you can place the duck weed into this so that the nest does not get disturbed when catching out the female. If you use a tee piece to join it then you can use a suction cap to hold it in place. Also works well as a feeder ring stopping food from going all over the tank. Graeme ;)

1 person likes this

Posted

I use foam cups, an Indian almond leaf, meat trays etc. whatever is on hand at the time. But it's up to the male where he builds a nest, which can be directly above the heater!! ;)

Posted

Graeme that is brilliant!! I have one male whose tank is thoroughly carpeted in duckweed, and I'm going to use your idea but the opposite way - to keep a circle clear of weed that I can drop food onto. Right now, lots of it ends up on top of the weed and he can't find it.

Posted

I know that I am only new to this but I read in one of my books that a University study showed that Betta males prefered to build their under something that is round in shape, about the diameter of a grapefruit and yellow in colour. So I floated a piece of yellow plastic in the tank and guess what, who knew that Bettas love the colour yellow, overnight a huge bubblenest appeared and the female seemed to be attracted to the colour as well. I don't know whether or not any of the experienced people have tried this or are willing to try this but if so please let me know, I would be really interested to find out. ;)

Posted

that's really interesting ;). I wonder if the colour was really a factor? It would be interesting to float a few colours of plastic and see which ones they choose.

Posted

I'm loving my foam block (cut from an old box that I had fish shipped in), it sits at the corner without having to worry about tape. Although it's white and hard to see the eggs between bubbles it does make it easier to see the new fry. It's different but it works for me!

Posted (edited)

The same study used other colours and it showed that the colours red and green were less popular than yellow to the males and that the colour blue was almost completely rejected, but when it comes to any other colours I wouldn't have a clue. The yellow plastic that I use is a circle cut out of the yellow section of a saddleworld bag, it is a nice bright colour and is strong and thick, but you can't see through it.

Edited by steph

Posted

I haven't spawned yet, but have a large bubblenest (waiting for spawning, hopefully this week...) under a leaf of giant duckweed... It's been well kept for several days now, so I'm going to let them spawn under there and see how it goes. :dontknow:

Posted

That's it. I used nothing for these males, they kept a building!!

Posted

I dont use anything i just let them make a nest were they like. (i do use IAL water) My spawn tanks are bare except for a heater in the winter. Summertime i dont use heaters at all.

Posted

I tried plastic with my last spawn, but it was rejected, so I went back to the trusty bubblewrap. The plastic wasn't yellow though, it was white. I would have used one of my IAL but my whole box seems to have gone walkies :yes:

Posted (edited)

I have used Nasturtion leaves for years. Two medium size ones dropped in a corner.

They last around a week and a half before yellowing up and disinergrating. I leave only a half inch or so of stalk on them. All anabantoids go off when they are in the water, much the same as the leaves and extract.

I put them in the adult tanks and grow out tubs too, week on week off, but with stalks and smaller leaves attached underneath the top larger leaf or two.

Here is a couple of old pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by argylebetta

Posted

Thanks for the pictures Rob! Do the leaves sink after a while? I believe that was the main problem a lot of people who tried IAL as a bubblenest-building medium encountered.

Posted

Hi Trace.

No they never sink even when decomposing.

The adults that are long-eared lazy layabouts like this little bloke love the underwater small leaves on stalks.

Posted Image

Posted

wow, fantastic idea! I might try that