DIY 90L Betta Barracks...

Ghengis

great work ghengis!!

i see you have become a master of siliconing :cloud9:

i was waiting too to see how the filtering system worked, both ideas are good i like the 2nd one because it acts as a surface skimmer but i would prefure ther first filter idea

mine is 70l so its smaller then yours, it holds 2 more fish and i only have a fluval plus 2 and fluval plus 1 internal filter which is more then enough for my tank so you should have enough filter media inside the T piece of pvc pipe

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Close. Total volume is bang on 90L. Each compartment is 295x200x245, for 14.5L. Which actually means there's 32L out back.

B'azzi, I'm really not too sure if there will be enough filtration, to be honest. As I said earlier, though, there'll be four fish in 90L (actually more like 80, given it won't be filled to the brim), which, I am confident will not be a massive bio-load. I'll plant each compartment out, as well... So, I dunno. I think it should be sweet. I'll work out the total filter volume and come back to you...

I think you're probably right about the filtration.

Each compartment might be 14.5L but the fish are getting the benefit of the whole water volume. So they're pretty much getting the equivalent of an 18 inch tank to themselves. Can't you just call in sick for the rest of the week to stay home and finish it? :cloud9:

Probably just some offcuts of what I have in the 70L. Will need to be low-light, at least until I find a different light system. I'll be using my spare 2ft fluro, for the nonce, which is only 18w. I have a few bunches of Hygrophila Stricta (sp.?), that grow about 2 inches every week (seems like it, anyway!), that would be perfect for this application. May add a little Hairgrass, and maybe Anubia in a month or three. I dunno, that's all up in the air for now, until I can absorb the cost of building this thing and then look at other options like lighting etc in the New Year....

And, yes,*cough*, I don't *cough* think I'm *cough, cough* feeling very *cough* well, boss *cough*... I *cough* think I need to *cough* off home for the *cough* day *cough, cough, cough*

Do you reckon there'll be enough filter media just in that single tube if you go with option 1?

Sorry, I was just re-re-re-re-reading over this page and thought I'd just clarify something a little further. That diagram just shows media in the upright section, when, in fact, the horizontal section will also contain media. That piece has been loaded with bio-balls, with the upright containing coarse (black) filter pad with a couple pieces of dishwashing scourer-type media doing the "polishing". At least, that's the plan...

When do you remove the masking tape that's keeping the silicone neat? As soon as you've applied the silicone? Or wait till it's skinned?

More re-re-re-re-reading, and I found this post that I missed. Sorry B'azzi, I must be blind...or unable to see.

To be honest, I need more practice with the technique. I have tried removing the tape whilst the silicone is still wet, and have waited until it's skinned, both with mixed results. One good thing about the tape is that it keeps the silicone in one general area, and not spread two inches either side of the joint. I find though that, once skinned/dry, the silicone peels off the tape, leaving an uneven edge. Same goes with "wet" removal, except messier. The pics really do flatter the results I have acheived...it's not a major mess, mind, but I reckon it could still be better. I must mention that I am pretty critical of my own work, so to some of you, this may actually be a good effort... Still, a bit of work with a sharp blade and a steady hand seems to do the job.

I'd love to build a heap more tanks, just to perfect the taping technique if nothing else. No, I am not taking orders! :cloud9:

So we have water! Yay! Sorry, I tried to get pics of the ceremonial "first wetting", but camera battery was (is) dead. You'll just have to take my word that it was a monumental, riveting and joyous occasion...

Question: What would be a reasonable time to leave it soak? I thought I might drain the water tomorrow and re-fill, then drain again on Sunday, re-fill again and toss some fishies in. That'd be a total of four days to soak/leach, before fish-o'clock.

Thoughts?

Negatory. DL'd the Tech Sheet again, this morning. It states that the silicone is cured in 5-7 days to a depth of 10mm in 23* temp and 50%RH. Given that my joints are probably a little shy of 10mm, and I'm in 33* at about 80%RH, I think 4 days (which is what it sat for) should be enough. There is, however, no suggestion of how long I should leave the tank sit filled with water prior to fish insertion...

No matter, I'll go with plan A, just to be safe...

Gaaah! Dammit, you're right! The whole thing's ruined, now! Stupid inebriated index, get's me every time! *sigh*

:cheer:

Ran an Ammo test last night, just for fun. .3-.5ppm!! There's not even any fishwaste in there yet!! Obviously leaching from the silicone. I'll drain it tonight, refill and test again tomorrow. I'm tempted to hook up the filtration, add some aged water/gravel and use the present Ammonia to build some bacteria...

only I'm not too sure what other chemicals are leaching as well.

What if I loaded the filtration with carbon and let it run a few days? Would that neutralise any other nasties in the water? The reason the filter isn't hooked up atm, is cos I don't want to risk contaminating the media with whatever chemicals are leaching, but if the carbon idea works, there'd be no problem... Yeah?

Hate to be the one to keep bringing it up but what else are women good for but to bring logic and reason to men's lives lmfao but, again, you are "assuming' this silicone is aquarium safe so does it surprise you there's no mention of it on the tech sheet? Perhaps it is not aquarium safe and the makers thought 'no one would use it on an aquarium coz we haven't specifically said it's aquarium safe like selleys do' hmmmmm...food for thought. I would SOOO hate for something to go wrong now!

To quote the Tech Sheet:

RECOMMENDED USES

-In the construction of aquariums

-In the construction of shop front windows

-Installation of aluminium windows, between glass and aluminium

-...etc.

Don't worry, I have said earlier that I too am just as concerned, if not more so, that everything might go pear shaped. I am not taking anything for granted, I assure you. But, given the information provided, I am fairly happy to proceed with this. At the end of the day, nothing ventured, nothing gained and (although I am loathe to consider building my own tank, or even fishkeeping in general, as a "risk"), life is full of risks that we take all the time. I just have to remain confident that this will work out fine in the end.

I'm actually wondering what sort of legal recourse there might be, should all my fish end up poisoned... Aside from saying, "Oh, well, too bad, so sad", what else would Bostik be obliged to do? Can't imagine them buying me a new tank and fish...

BTW, the words "women", "logic" and "reason" are all mutually exclusive. :cheer:

OK, sorry lol.. I can admit when I'm wrong. I might have to get Shannon to make my next tank with black silicone..it's sexy as hell! But you have to admit..it is a male trait to just do something and think/say 'She'll be right' lol and it is a womanly trait to pick every little thing men do to shreds!

Hahaha, that's so true...can u imagine how much trouble I was in the 1 and ONLY time the ex sent me to the bottle shop for him and I bought back a carton of VB that was a) throw downs not middies and b ) warm not cold.

Funny how he's never asked me to go buy beer for him again lmfao!

Archived