Clown Loach and Betta Fry

Anasfire

OK so I told the LFS guy of my plight with snails and asked if a clown loach would be ok in with some betta fry that are about 5mm long and he said they should be fine, like it shouldn't eat them. I got the loach home and put him in the tank but now I'm really worried that he will eat the fry. The fry seems too fast for the loach but I'm still concerned. Can anyone tell me if my concerns are justified? A simple : GET IT OUT OF THE TANK NOW will suffice if I'm asking for fry to be eaten...lol thanks

Cassi found this for you on Loaches Online.....

Clown loaches are considered peaceful, and they make excellent additions to a large community tank if the focus of the tank is their needs first. They seldom bother even small fish and it is quite possible to have other species breed and the babies grow up un-predated by the Clowns.

Hope it helps......

I did read somewhere though that they will become very unhapy, hide and refuse to eat when they are on their own. It is recomended to keep at least 3 together 5 being a good number. I love clown loaches they are very entertaining, they would be in my top 2 of favourite fishies.

Well I don't plan on keeping him alone for long, just long enough for him to eat all the snail (and hopefully no fry) then he'll be sold back to the LFS.

Thanks guys, that's very helpful..i'm not stressing out anymore.

Brett....don't you mean YOUR fry? :P although I suppose they are mine now!

Loaches on line is a great resource :P

I wouldn't put clownies in with very small fry as they're omniverous so anything small enough to fit in their mouth is fair game and favoured foods are snails, blackworm, bloodworms, small bits of prawns for the larger fish, so tiny fry could become a tasty snack and clownies have large appetites.

They should be fine with larger fry. On their own they can get very stressed and succumb to Ick which can kill them pretty quick. They're scaleless so meds must be diluted and they don't tolerate high salt concentrations. Actually they're very similar to cory's in needs, care and habitat.

Take care when you try to catch them they are lightening fast and slippery as eels and they panic! And they have 2 thick barbs located under their eyes which they will extend when frightened, which will often get caught in the mesh fish nets, and these bloody hurt if they stick into you. Catching them is very stressful to them I had 2 larger ones keel over and die after being caught.........they weren't injured just over stressed.

Something else to think about they can live a long time and can get very very large and bulky, Like your Logan. something else they like "flow" in their water unlike fighters.

Just some thoughts,

Jane

Hopefully the fry will be fast enough.

Re: Water flow, I never had a problem with bettas not liking it if they could get away from it. I have had the opposite experience in which they enjoyed racing into the current, then gliding back with the current.

Clown loach seems to be leaving fry alone, even the dead one I've not yet removed. It's hiding behind the filter at the moment but I have noticed a massive decrease in the snail population already. Might move him to the 3.4ft community tank soon

Cassi just a FYI did you know that they are known to lay on the bottom of the tank on there sides when asleep.

I had 2 and both did this ,I dont know how many times I reached for the net to remove them thinking they were dead only to have them wake up and swim away.

Then of course I didnt reach for the net and they laid there for a good day dead.

Archived