Missing Cory

Anasfire

I bought 4 corys on Thursday and put them in a quarantine tank, I don't trust the fish from the LFS I got them from, bought diseased ones before so wasn't willing to chance it and put them in with my female bettas and now there are only 3 left. I've looked around the floor and table etc and can't find a dead 'jumper' anywhere so I'm assuming for now that it's died in the tank and maybe they've eaten it? Do they do that? Also what should I feed them? As you can see I really researched this well before I purchased them lol. I just saw them and thought they looked cute and grabbed a few. I've been feeding them live blackworm (which they seem to love) and algae disks.

Mine seem happy enough on leftovers and do a great job keeping the tanks a bit cleaner , they do get an algae disc evry second day and seem to enjoy them.

Not having much luck with dissapearing fish are you Cassi , your girl Red Grass is nowhere to be found either the others never eat dead fish , well not that fast and she is nowhere to be found outside the tank.

HMMM the plot thickens lol.

Fighters, checkout

http://www.planetcatfish.com/

or

http://www.corysrus.com/

for info on corydoras.

If you treat as any other tropical and not a scavenger you'll find they do very well and their antics quirky, funny and very rewarding. They are absolutely non-aggressive and very peaceful so in a community situation make sure they've plenty of places to hide. They prefer softly lit conditions or "shady" areas to escape and will hide if they feel threatened. They prefer a min group of 3 but will schoal in larger groups and at times behave a bit like sheep - if 1 does they all do :P

Cory's are omniverous oppertunistic feeders, so they will munch on any carcase. Mine get mixed foods, bloodowrms, dried blackworm or live as a treat, NLS-Grow, normal algae/spiralina chips and Sera Catfish Chips, Vipachips,Viformo tabs and the occasional bit of zucchini - like any fish a varied mixed diet is best. Mine reward me every 3-4 weeks after a big water change with a mating display and 200-300 eggs.

Oh and don't forget they're like scaleless fish they don't tolerate high salt concentrations or most meds. Wth the exception of the Waterlife products, everything needs to be diluted down 60:40. They are also susceptible to whitespot/velvet under the same stimulant conditions that fighters get it and it can be a real bugger to spot especially if they're the "albino" variety.

hope this helps.

Jane

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving this thread coz since working at a Pet shop in the fish room I've come to love cory's more and want HEAPS more of them. I fell in love with the peppered and panda cory's at work. I'd love to have a colony of each but just got to have enough money first! Actually, might go find out when I have to get the car serviced and if it's not for a few weeks I'll get some today! woohoo!

corries have been known to much on a dead tank mate before. although the likley hood of them killing the fish are non existent. i dont think they could devour a fish completly either.

i remember once when i found one of my broze corries under my under gravel filter plate under the gravel. i had it turned off and had the pipe in there still with no topping. it just swam in there and stayed. it survived and came out for food when it was hungry until one day i saw it come out. eat its fill and swim back down there. i decided to getrid of the UG once and for all. it was a planted tank too so the UG was not a good idea for the plants.

Archived