Is he a Red Dragon HMPK?

Streetmagus

What do you guys think? Is he a Halfmoon Plakat? Sometimes he spreads his tail all the way and it does look like 180 degrees, but not exactly straight like the others I've seen. But a lot of times its not 180 degrees. Do HMPKs always have a 180 degree spread?

reddragonhmpkqv8.jpg

reddragonhmpk2dl3.jpg

reddragonhmpk3ed1.jpg

reddragonhmpk4de1.jpg

to qualify to be a hm of any variety the fish need to be able to spread 180.

he has 4 ray splits but becuase of the shape of his anal and dorsal I would classify him as more of a traditional plakat. Nice red dragon, do you plan on breeding him? he certainly has potential

Like Sara I would classify him as a Trad PK; not only for the caudal which lacks the defined "D" sharpness of the HM shape, but also the teardrop dorsal and the long pointy anal. His body shape is also more trad Pk in that it is more slender and torpedo like, allowing for him being a young fish, than the broader bodies of the show HMPK.

Thanks for the help guys. This was what I was thinking also. Person who gave this fish to me said he was a HMPK but I wasn't able to find the "D" shape that a lot of AB HMPK's clearly have. Also, like the above post, his anal fin seems to be a big longer than normal plakats as well :D

I plan on breeding him still, probably going to try and find a red dragon hmpk female.

The D-shape is the ideal but you'll find a lot of HMPKs with slightly rounded corners. But as Sara already said, it's also the shapes of the anal and dorsal that make him more traditional pk than asymmetrical show pk. Not that there's anything wrong with the traditional form. I quite like it. It will be sad if no one works on the other caudal shapes like the spade tail which is really nice on a trad pk. Love the dragon illustration in the background.

Archived