Help! my cory's are spawning

Mythicbetta

Ok this is the third time my adult cory double trio have spawned/ are spawning.........Yes, both sets at the same time<_<

Trust me to do a big water change .........

My problem is this - the last twice they've spawned I haven't removed either the parents or the eggs and hence only 1 survivor from each batch, I'd like a few survivors from this opportunity

I can't find "The Spawning Cory's for Dummies" manual anywhere online.

Does anyone have any instructions ??? what do I need to do??

Thanks Jane

If you have a breeding net/cage doodad you could put the eggs in there. Try and stick them to the sides and place them in a current. Also try not to expose the eggs to the air when you are moving them around. Just what I've read.

Good luck :D

B'razzi, have you ever tried to catch these buggers? :eek:

They're like greased lightening and especially living in a jungle tank........The 6 adults share their 60x30x30 with 3 khuli's, a hillstream loach and about 20million snails which just won't die and a jungle weed that fills half the tank!!

I'll try to post a photo.

* Catfish enthusiast's advice..... move the eggs it's apiece of cake* :D;)

Move the eggs - piece of cake, I can do that :book::D:(

Moving the eggs was not an easier proposition - the little bugers had them everywhere..........on or under almost every surface........what a pain they're so sticky at one point I looked like I had lots of little warts all over my fingers. Eventually got about 85% into the fish net and have set up a bare bottomed hatching tank with 50%. new water and 50% from the tank........which meant another fresh water addition to the main tank and now the other female has gone all broody. :blush: 5-7 days before hatching..........now I wait......

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions & help.

Cheers Jane

LOL :blush: They are fast aren't they! They seem so quiet and docile, until you need to catch them.

My julii spawned last week. They were spawning for something like 5 hours and after it all I couldn't see a single egg. Too much java moss, hair grass, val and hollow logs :D I'd love to get some babies but I think being a community tank something would have picked any eggs or fry off.

Not necessarily Ezza, my cory's spawned in a heavily planted community tank and I thought all the eggs had been eaten. I decided to pull the tank down a few weeks later and thin out the plants and what did I find ? 2 cory fry! They had been happily hiding in the plants and under the driftwood. They are now big enough to swim openly with the adults and not get eaten by the other inhabitants.

It seems the first batch of eggs ( laid 15/7/08) belong solely to the "bronze" trio and the albino female & her Bronze males mated yesterday(16/07/08) and dropped me another bundle. So I decided to remove some eggs from the 2nd spawning and dump them into the same hatching tank as the first, - Well if they were going to be so accomodating I may as well take advantage of it, mighten I :D 24hrs between siblings no biggie.

You can probably imagine the look on my face when upon opening the "cory incubation ward" I find the first lot of eggs fungused :( someone didn't remove all the unfertilised eggs *dumb, dumb, dumb* So I decided that I'd best get to and see if I could save any from the fist batch.. Of course after putting the 2nd batch into the water......... here I am separating fungus from little hard but fragile & easily squished pin sized eggs *it's now 11:15pm and it's been a looong day* and I'm playing with fungus balls , :cheer:mmmmm yummy??

..........but wait there's more..........

What the hell is that??? Oh great , more contamination in the tank these wiggly "mozzie larvae thingies" Bugger!!! I hope these eggies can hang on till tomorrow I really am not up for a tank clean & water change at 11:30pm!! As you can probabley visualize I pretty bleary eyed by now and damn me theres more of these wiggly things wizzing around the tank - my thoughts *Great, just great playing in fungus and bugs at some unholy hour of hte night! Just to add to the picture I'm separating the fungus from the eggs with my fingernails - Yes I know it's gross but they're the only manipulable sharp thing I trust myself with at this hour. Damn me I wish these eggs would stop wiggling whilst I'm trying to peel them free.....Arrgh it's hatching on my finger........**Oh stuff a duck they're hatchlings. Yep cory hatchlings** - :lol:

Well 5 days to hatch??? somebody shoulda told these little "wigglers" !!! :fish:

As of this morning all the recovered, fungus removed eggs have hatched :D

Just a couple of baby photos ( if they'll load :angry: )

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii24/my...%20baby%20pics/

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived