hammerlock shelves

jusdeb

Mitre 10 has the hammerlock shelving units on special at the moment....$59.00 for a 5 shelf unit that is normally $72.00. They have improved the finish of the metal so there are no sharp edges and are enamelled black.

No I dont work for them LOL I just thought youd like to know.

Got them and assembled them in no time , now its like oh crap how will I fill all that space....I bet in six months time it will oh crap Ive run out of room.

Bettarazi how did you waterproof your shelves ??( I remember you having to do it in your fishroom makeover)

The first set of shelves I used Wattyl's Instant Estapol Matt and Scandinavian Teak Oil. I diligently sanded between each coat and got a beautifully smooth finish. The colour was a bit darker than I liked but I think I could have just left out the Teak Oil and still have gotten that nice finish. The second set of shelves I used some kind of wipe on polymer. Sorry can't really remember what it was called. I was lazy. I didn't bother sanding between coats and consequently the finish was really rough. My utilitarian friends thought I was mad to even bother with treating the shelves. They felt a bit of water every now and then wouldn't hurt. I don't know whether water would have damaged the shelves or not but it's amazing how useful it is having shelves which are nice and smooth and waterproof. It's just comforting to see water bead on the surface and you can just wipe it off without worrying that it will soak into the wood and make it mouldy. And the smooth surface is really useful if you need to move a tank full of water a few inches to the left so you can get to the power board at the back. I've got to do another set of shelves. I'm going to go back to the Instant Estapol and I'm going to be sanding between coats.

I saw the twin pack Charlie ...what a bargain only thing is for me Im in a unit and short of making my son sleep outside LOL and take over his room I have nowhere to put them.

I covered my shelves with contact today and put them as a corner unit , doesnt look too shabby.

I'm sure your son would get a kick out of sleeping under the stars, I know my terrors would :lol:

I havent even had a chance to get the shelves out of the car they are a bit heavy so I have to wait for my friend to come over tomorrow to help me get them out. I havent even thought about water proofing yet I might just use the same stain I've used on my stands, even better I like the contact idea do you use just the normal school book contact or is there a special one you need to buy. :)

Mitre 10 was too far away so I went to Bunnings and got a White Enamel finish Steel 5 shelf thing from Bunnings for only $43.90 or something like that. THought that was pretty good. And white makes it look more like it belongs inside too...

I used the contact that you find in the kitchen section of Big W. It is a woodgrain and looks pretty good. Quicker than paint I dont have that much patience .

And then I had a roll of that non slip rubber stuff and put that under the tanks.

Mine have a 150kg max per shelf and Im putting 2 X 25 litre tanks per shelf so thats 50kgs per...

Ill post a pic as soon as the batteries charge.

Very nice. Might be an idea to get some of those thingymabobs that you can put under furniture legs to prevent them from biting into the carpet. I think I've seen them in Coles. Little plastic discs.

lol me wanting to set mine up quickly i just grabbed some cardboard and folded it over 4 times :D

Ha Ha no Im not that bad .The net is in a container next to the dishes .Trust you Brett.lol.

It has little plastic doohickeys on the bottom of each leg ( included with pack ) but because they are moulded to fit you cant see them.

Cardboard works too.

Oh and I meant to say that the contact covered shelves with the wood grain design don't look as bad as I'd imagined they might before you uploaded the pics. :D And it would have been a helluva lot less work than sanding between multiple coats of Estapol. But I'm still going to do mine that way coz I'm old fashioned like that. :D

Shelves look great the wood grain contact does look really good. But there's just something I love about stained timber and I dont mind doing the extra work it gives me some time out from the kids or quite often they help with the sanding. :D

Archived