Water volume 6 liters

25w heater

Temp 28*C

Plants: water sprite

IAL extract added to tank

Sponge filter

Edited by Bettarazzi

Posted

They had their first meal of brineshrimp last night. And they were also eagerly attacking the bbs this morning. I was having bbs issues otherwise I would have fed them a little sooner with bbs. That's ok, all good now. :((

Posted

you'll have to let us know how they go, i'm looking at crossing by copper hm bf with my opque white hm female tm so im interested to so wht you get

Posted

Watch this space for updates. :D Will post some pics when they are a bit larger or when I figure out how to photograph tiny fry whichever comes first :((

Posted

Went to feed the fry this morning and noticed the male picking up what looked like dead bodies. There were at least 5 or 6 of them. And the really sad thing was Dad was picking up their bodies and blowing them into a bubblenest. At first I didn't think anything of it because the reality is that fry die. But then I remembered that I had siphoned the bottom of their tank last night and didn't refill. So the uplift tube of the sponge filter is sitting just a bit higher than before and although it's still trickling a little, I think it may not have been enough to effectively add oxygen to the water. All the surviving fry were swimming close to the surface instead of all over the tank as they had been, which is consistent with my low oxygen theory. Before I left for work I adjusted the filter so that it flowed a bit more but didn't have time to do much more. Hope they're ok when I get home.

Posted

*fingers crossed*

Posted

I hope that is the explanation - at least it was fixable ^_^

Posted

No, I don't think that was the explanation after all. It seems that the larger fry have all disappeared. That is the bbs eating ones. All the fry are still swimming at the surface. They seem really small, like newly hatched fry. They're all still hugging the surface. I pushed the plants down to see if I could get a better look of them. Some of them which fell to the floor of the tank were having a lot of trouble swimming back to the surface. It's all very strange for 8 day old fry. I'll check the water parameters when I get home tonight. Maybe the sponge filter isn't doing it's job. Or maybe a spike in ammonia or nitrite has killed off the larger ones? Or maybe the larger ones are still there, just hugging the surface. Dunno. I don't feel confident that these guys are going to make it.

Posted

That's a shame. People have reported that the fry of white bettas don't seem as hardy as other colours. Wonder if the fact that the father is opaque has anything to do with it? I would have thought the copper would balance it out, but who knows?

:(

Posted

He's the same father as the Opaque x Steel spawn which has hundreds of extremely robust fry. Maybe the robustness was from the Steel veiltail mother. But I wonder if the problem with this batch is new tank syndrome. They are in a brand new tank (well a couple of weeks old anyway) but the sponge filter I used was pulled out of an established tank. And the water was 70% old water, 30% new. I'll test the water when I get home.

Posted

Fry are two and a half weeks old. There are about 30 left I think. Hard to count. Not bad considering the issues I've had with the tank. And the problems with the Dad's injury or infection whatever it was. I removed the father this evening. It's just easier without him getting in the way. And he kept killing the snails and they were fouling the tank. I thought I'd removed all the snails but found another dead one this afternoon. Not sure where it was hiding. Obviously not hiding well enough from the male. I'm going to keep an eye on the male. He's hiding under an IAL leaf. Might be sulking about being removed from his babies. I think there might be a couple of double tails. Their fins are still clear but I think I see a double caudal peduncle.

Posted

About 5 weeks old.

Posted

Wow, they don't look small to me, they look great!! Or is that just because of your new super mega camera?

Posted

i love the colour on the top one! looks like it may be steel??

Posted

Nice fry :)

So this mother carried opaque too... Is that really a light bodied DT I see?

Posted

these are looking really good to :P :)

Posted

yay :thumbs: huge fry!

Posted

Yes, that is a light bodied double tail. Those are the two biggest ones. The ST is 2.5cm and the DT is about 2cm. All the other fry are smaller and some are quite a lot smaller. I'm not entirely convinced that opaque is recessive. I would have thought I should have had a lot more dark bodied fry. All the fry look like either one of those two.

Posted

Updated pics. Nearly three and a half months old now. Lots of red wash. I can't say I'm overwhelmed with enthusiasm with these. I had been looking forward to see how they would turn out but they seem to get uglier as they mature. They all have, to varying degrees, a patch on their head which is pastel orange (or more accurately pale puke) which is pockmarked and on some of them includes some redness. I thought it was some kind of disease. But Stefan who had looked after them while I was away thinks it's natural. Not sure if I can be bothered doing an F2. Not even sure that I can be bothered continuing to feed and house them.

Posted

A few more. This next photo shows the pockmarkings more clearly. It looks like some kind of subcutaneous infection. But I can't find it in any of my fish diseases books.

Posted

That head thing does look kinda weird :giggle:

But if you need to rehome I can probably help out......I'm a dead set softy when it comes to orphans :lol:

Nic

Posted

i think they're pretty cute :giggle:

Posted

Oh dear god, they're hideous!!! :giggle:

Actually they are kind of cute. Don't like the pock mark thing though. Is the camera making them look better than they are?

Posted

Yes, they're pretty scary. Maybe I could start a new Halloween strain. :giggle:

I'm really struggling to believe those pockmarks are normal or naturally occurring. If that was the case you'd see it all the time. I'd expect everyone else who's bred opaques to indicate that this is a common thing. Their father had something similar but that was after he injured his lip. Well I'm not 100% sure that was an injury and not an infection. Perhaps this line has a genetic predisposition to get this disease. Maybe it's something that comes in my water that's able to survive the vast amounts of chlorine they put in it.

If it's a genetically inherited trait rather than a disease I definitely don't want to breed these fish. I'm leaning towards treating them with a broad spectrum fungal and bacterial cure like Nitrofurazone (Jungle Binox) to see if that makes any difference. I'll try to be patient and wait for a few more comments.

Posted

i have an opaque female with something similar, but not as obvious. perhaps it is more obvious in juvies? my platinum female does not have it as far as i can see. if you've got the time i suggest going waaay back through the history of the clinic forum becuase when i first joined i did that with all threads and i know i saw something like this, i can think of any search tags that would help other than maybe pits and holes. i've read about it elsewhere and i think it may be a normal thing. i think you should try an f2 though, you'll probably get nicer colours back, these aren't that bad though

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0