Metallic Blue PK x Green CT

112 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Goal: Metallic blues and greens of any form

Male: Purchased from St Kilda Aquarium. Full mask, metallic royal blue plakat. Slight red wash in anal fin.

Female: Purchased from Pets Paradise, Chadstone. Mostly green, crown tail with a fair bit of red in anal and caudal. Ventrals are completely red.

Status

10/07/07 - Starting to spar 7 1/2 weeks old

25/06/07 - Started feeding frozen bloodworms

16/06/07 - 4 weeks old today.

11/06/07 - Male has dropsy. Will probably be euthanised later today.

27/05/07 - Fry and father moved to 18in tank

26/05/07 - Fry accepting TA

25/05/07 - Stopped feeding rotifers. Saving rotifers for next spawn. Continued with TA.

24/05/07 - Changed 1 ltr of water. Fed a little Tim Addis Red Crumb Grade 2

23/05/07 - Fed a few drops from rotifer culture

22/05/07 - Fry are free swimming

21/05/07 - Changed 200mls of water

19/05/07 - Eggs have hatched, tails hanging from nest

18/05/07 - Nest full of eggs, female removed

17/05/07 - Female has been released from her chimney

16/05/07 - We have bubble nest! He seems really aggressive. She is way too relaxed in that chimney. Still no reaction from female.

15/05/07 - Yay! My first pairing since my two disasters over the Easter. Placed male and female in breeding tank around 10.30pm. A little bit of flaring from the male, no reaction from the female.

Tank Setup

L 28cm, W 17.5cm, H 19 cm acrylic with glass cover

Water level 17cm

Water volume 8 liters

25w heater, but room is heated as well

Temp 27*C

Plants: wisteria (planted in a candle holder), java moss, lots of water sprite

Aquasonic Amazon conditioner added to tank water

No filtration

Edited by Bettarazzi

Posted

love that female! good luck ;)

Posted

Nice pair Michael :cheer: Good luck.

Posted

wo nice blue on the first fish... what type of tail is it?

Posted

You know what? I don't really think I've paid that much attention to that male's tail shape. I think it's because I'm not that into plakats and I just got him because of the full mask and the gorgeous blue. I will take a closer look and get back to you. He's alwasy been very difficult to photograph.

Posted

i LOVE the size of the fins on that female, and the PK boy is lovely!! good luck :cheer:

Posted

what type of tail is it?

I'm not an expert on PK tails but it looks ordinary to me. Definitely not HM.

Posted

I've released the female from her chimney but I'm keeping a close watch on them this evening. I thought the male would be really aggressive because he had been charging quite hard at the chimney. He's still charges hard but stops before making contact with the female. She's been released for about an hour and a half so far and he hasn't taken a bite at her. He's not nearly as violent as my last male. And he doesn't bother her constantly. I've just noticed that the bubbles he's blown in the spawn tank are larger than the bubbles in his home tank. Those bubbles are much finer and in fact are still floating in his home tank even though he hasn't been there to tend them for 2 days. She's not swimming around as much as when I first released her. Just hanging at the surface hiding behind a floating java fern leaf. Not very successfully. He knows she's there. He keeps coming up to her to check if she's ready to play. I had intended to put her back in the chimney overnight but since he's being pretty mild mannered I think I might just leave them alone.

Posted (edited)

Returned from work to find the nest full of eggs and the female in hiding. I've removed her to a separate tank so I can giver her a good feed before she goes back to the sorority house. Happy about the eggs. Hate it when I miss the action. Need to research webcams. It would have been cool to check on them during the day from work.

Edited by Bettarazzi

Posted

hey... thats not a bad idea... i dont think most aussie isp's provide a fast enough upload speed for a fairly decent watchable cam, they usually get a little angry at you when your using it constantly as well.

Well done on the spawn btw. good news is awesome :lol:

do you think you'll get some full masked pk's?

Posted

Don't really know much about metallic, mask or pk genes. Need to do a lot more research. Or I could be lazy and just wait and see :lol:

Posted

The eggs have hatched and little tails are hanging from the nest. I haven't been able to get near them for nearly 24 hrs because of all the junk in front of the desk (part of the fishroom makeover project). It would have been much more fun staring at them all day than what I was doing. Sorry no pics. Too busy.

Wondering what other people do in relation to water changes in the spawning tank. I haven't done any since the pair were introduced and there isn't a filter in there.

Posted

My water change technique is just sucking up the gunk with an airhose line when their is enough to warrant a clean and I use an 80 litre tank that is only 1/4 full to start with and I top it up with about 4 litres of aged water every 3-4 days with airline hose siphoning.You will hear a few more ways but this works for me.

Posted

so far I've learnt DON'T TOUCH THE WATER!!!

for at least the 1st 2 weeks... I lost 3 spawns because I added new water too fast... (even though I was only adding a small amount)

It should be very aged water, preferably from an established tank, heated to the same temp as the tank (so as to not shock the babies)

I'm sure someone around here does a "drip" method where they have say a bottle with a pinprick hole in it and allow the water to drip, drip, drip slowly until the bottle is empty, can't remember who that was though... in anycase I'm sure someone will help!

Posted

PK gene is recessive over long tail gene, metallic is co-dominant and i can't remember about masks :wub:;

with my water changes i wait until after week two (so i make sure there's at least 20L in the tub when they hatch) and then use an airline to drip fresh water in until the tub is full. after that i start doing actual water changes. HTH!

and good luck with the fry :D

Posted

I use a filter, so the fact that I don't touch the water until the fry are about 2 weeks old may not translate to an unfiltered tank. Even then, I top up by about 600ml a day until the tank is full, rather than removing and replacing water. I find that the less I do to the water, the better the luck I have with my fish.

Wow, I just noticed that the idea of not messing with the water isn't as sacrilegious as it used to be! For a while there conventional wisdom was all "nitrate nitrate nitrate, get those nitrates out". Then our Australian HMs all started getting fin melt and finrot and velvet and some of us went all gun-shy about water changes and what do you know - no more finrot, LOL! Anyway, a bit OT - I just thought it was interesting to no longer be in the non-water changing minority.

back on topic - one great thing I have in my fishroom is a drip, with a flow rate control valve. I wonder if they could be bought from medical suppliers? They are great as they have a cap on top at the end where you pour the water in, so you can seal them and even lay them on their side on the tank and it will still drip.

Posted

A few things are starting to come back to me from my previous betta breeding days. The first one is the use of a larger tank and just filling it gradually with water from an established tank. The benefit of that is also the micro-organisms that would feed the fry for the first couple of days. Unfortunately I'm only using a 1ft tank for this spawn and it's already full. I think I'm going to have to go with removing a little water each day and allowing the aged water to drip in slowly. I think I'll just use a length of string for the drip. It's easy, cheap and I've already got some.

Posted

The fry are free swimming now. I was going to post some pics of them hanging in the bubblenest last night before I realised that I hadn't reduced the size of the photos and then I didn't have time (or energy) to do it. It seems pointless now. They're spread all over the tank, mostly at the surface. Dad still has a bubblenest going. I'm going to put a few drops of my rotifer culture in and try them on a little Tim Addis tomorrow.

Posted

you have a rotifer culture!! How did you get that?

Posted

I got it from http://www.southernbiological.com.au/. $11.11 for 50 rotifers. They actually get out a microscope and count them. That's 22 cents a rotifer!! Best to ring them to discuss your needs. I've had them for about 4 or 5 weeks now. Growing in a petri dish. I had a look through my microscope and they're definitely there.

Posted

what type of tail is it?

I've had a closer look and it's definitely a normal PK tail not HM. Doesn't have the D shape that we'd want in a HM.

Posted

if there all healthy happy and alive i wouldnt worry too much about tails lol... although a full spawn of hm's would be a dream :)

Posted

This was kinda just a practice spawn. PK x CT? Not sure what I'm going to get. Hopefully the male will survive to spawn another day. I think the gold HM female I got from Jodi might be a better pairing.

Posted

hmmm.. you could start a new strain.. HMPKCT! a plakat with halfmoon spread and a crown tail... but wait... theres more.. for an extra $2.95 you could get that in a double tail!!!

Posted

I think the HMPKCTs are called half suns. Or maybe all HMCTs are half suns. My tiny brain can't keep up with the terminology.