The Beginning Of My New Planted Tank

Phil

Good suggestion Pritch, but unfortunatly that is as far back as it can go. I do plan to add more low plants around the bottom infront of the wood, i want to cover the entire bottom with some low plants, just havent seen any anywhere at the moment :P

Now here is the tank looking all brown, noone seems to like it here, but i do!:

tank14thfeb.jpg

My 2 darker coloured discus, one is all patterned and one is blue/green with stripes, but the colours dont show up well on the camera due to the colour of the water:

discus1.jpg

And my 2 orange/reds, they are the red colour all over but the flash and the colour of the water washes out the colour of the fish:

discus2.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No they arent breeding pairs. I picked them out of the tanks at work, there was about 100 to choose from. I got them the day they cleared quarrintine to make sure i got them before they would most likely get sick in the holding tanks. Sometimes they go well and sometimes they get sick at work unfortunatly.

I am glad yous like it :) Jess, how is your planted tank going? Get it up and running!!

Yes Ray, i was wondering how the plants would go with the really dark water, they have had an explosion of growth since the wood has been in there tho!

I am thinking a 50% waterchange per week might help keep it at a reasonable clarity, what are your thoughts/experience?

Dosen't Blyxa japonica require very bright light, co2 and all that fancy jazz for it to survive? I saw some plants recently for $12 in an aquarium and thought they looked nice :)

Anyone have any other ideas for low growing foreground plants? I dont think hairgrass or similar would suit this tank, would more likely have to be crypty or chain swordy i think.

hi Phil the reason for your growth spurts will be due to the plants trying to get more light this is why I would think they’ll get a bit leggy as the tips will be trying to grow to fast to get to the light it will cause your plants to get a little thin in the stems

You could try some purigen I found it very effective on my first planted tank for getting rid of the tea water but the water changes will help

as for the blxya I have read that it can be a little difficult although I have found it no probs but I do run c02 and high light but I think it is worth trying although 12 dollars is a little steep I’ve only paid 4-5 dollars at most but have certainly seen it much dearer

Chain sword would be the most easiest to grow of all the foreground plants I have found most need very good lighting and a very good substrate to do well but if you want to try something I would say glosso would have to be the best foreground plant I have seen and is a fantastic look in any tank but very high on the difficult list

Ray

Damn, i thought they were growing so well because i am so talented ;)

Will try and get a good waterchange done today.

I guess the plants stretching abit at the moment isnt so bad because now i can prune them and get some more cuttings for my other tanks :)

And the glosso would look great. Might have to wait till the water clears up and i can get a MH light.

Went in search of some plants today and ended up with 2 pots of crypts and 2 pots of hairgrass. I know i said i wasnt going to use hairgrass but the shop has a display planted tank and the hairgrass in there looked brilliant as it had colonised the bottom of the tank like a lawn!

Here are some updated pics. Did a 60% waterchange so the water is quite clearer to see through. I am amazed at how well the discus are going, in the past when i have bought them from Aquariums they have always been run down and sickly aswell as just hiding and not eating. These guys got into the food about 10 mins after i released them in the tank and are always swimming at the front :):)

My pics always come out abit blurry, sorry!

Angled shot of the tank to see the hairgrass and the crypts:

100_6645.jpg

And the gang just hangin out in the front:

100_6647.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So robbie, did you get your congos? :)

I am thinking i might have to give this tank a mini makeover. The 2 large rocks i put in are taking up too much space since i have way to many fish, i might aswell loose the rocks and gain some space.

I put in a big 12cm pleco catfish last week and he is doing a good job ripping up the plants while he is sucking so will get rid of the ones he is destroying etc.

No :) I still haven't had the chance to go to any LFS yet. I have to get rid of an angel fish and my Asian Bumblebee catfish (this catfish has in the span of 2 months, eaten 10 female bettas, 5 black widows and 5 penguin tetras. NOT HAPPY :) :) )

so once I get rid of them, I'll be able to reorganise my tank, and hopefully find sum congos :P

• 1 month later...

This tank was pulled apart a while back Jess :P i replaced it with a 4x2x2 tank. I only just got the gravel sorted out on sunday and was planning to start planting on monday nite, but well, that obviously wasnt going to happen. All my Howard River nana vallis died on me so i dont have any plants at the moment. When i have full use of my arms again, i plan to get going with it and start planting up. :P

Archived