The Beginning Of My New Planted Tank

Phil

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is an Aqua Nova brand. It seems to be the brand of dry goods we sell at work. It is extremely quiet, i cant even tell its running!!

Yes, you have to be over 18 to buy it. I am sure the young ones like Stefan would mis-use it somehow :(:( :(

I seem to be growing a lawn of algae on the surface of the sand. Oh well, i guess i wont have to bother with low groundcover type plants lol.

Posted Image

Updated pic. Last night i went and bought some more plants to put in, just 4 bunches at the moment.

I brought some fish home from work but didnt have much success with some of them.

I put in:

20 Rummy nose tetras

4 Dwarf gourami's - 2 powder blue, 1 neon and 1 orange flame

4 Black mollies

4 Black Kuhli loaches

Unfortunatly i lost all bar 3 of the rummy nose tetras last night, i should of taken it seriously that they were difficult fish to acclimatise and probably should of waited a few more months till the tank was fully established.

But you learn!! i might just go with 30 cardinal tetras or something similar.

Posted Image

A couple of days after that photo above, i was faced with this:

Posted Image

I did an 80% waterchange yesterday in the hopes to clear it up, it made it abit clearer, but now it is all cloudy again. I have never had anything like this before. It is green, so i think there must be some sort of algal bloom?

Might be a water issue?? I did a 100% waterchange today and the fish are looking MUCH happier so hopefully it wont happen again. I was using a pond dechlorinator, its the only thing i can think of, since it started happening since the waterchange i did with that product. I bought a new dechlorinator today on the way home from work so hopefully thats the problem. If not i might have to just whack a UV light on there ;)

I'm waiting for the smiley to wink... Nup. Algae is a good indication that things are on the right track. Are you fertilising the plants? The algae is getting nutrients from somewhere. Maybe toss lots of duck weed in there to suck up the excess till the tank gets established. A few snails? Snails tend to bloom just after an algae bloom... and only take a few weeks to clear it up, IME... then you just clear out the snails.

Archived