Mouses 4ft Community Tank - a work in progress *56k warning!

I thought it might be interesting to see how my tank has been evolving since its conception around 6 months ago. Since its far from completed I'll be updating this thread as the tank changes :)

All suggestions, tips, advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I guess I might as well start from the very beginning...

Posted Image

more pics to come...

• 3 weeks later...

I decideced to go with the black tuscan path riverstones for the substrate, and Toodyay Stone for the terracing.

I opted for Toodyay stone because I couldn't get any slate at the time & had to find an alternative. Its native to Perth (well Toodyay anyway) so there is plenty of it around here at a really good price. Its also stackable and comes in a few different colours. I got the Green Toodyay stone which is like a light grey with sparkly green sprinkly bits running through.

Posted Image

close up of the stone..

Posted Image

next came the plants.. my first ever attempt at a planted tank so it was a lot of fun going into the lfs and asking for 'the short fuzzy one" or the "tall lanky one" :o Not that I'm a heck of a lot better now :cheer:)

the purple plants lasted about a few weeks before they rotted & the tall one with the roundish leaves was a favourite with the mollies and lasted a few days longer :oopsie:

Posted Image

I've always wanted a fantasy tank, so when I saw the castle in the lfs I had to have it.

Posted Image

clearer pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

the little broken wall on the left side of the tank is well.. broken now.. thanks to my son pulling it off the bench when I had taken it out to clean

:cheer:

I also put in a 2ft bubble wall at this point to try and keep the water aerated in the hot weather

I had a bout of shocking algae on my stone for a while there.. no idea why, but I don't get it any more.

It doesn't show up too well on the pic, but it was everywhere.. icky brown diatoms thai I just couldn't seem to budge! :banghead:

Posted Image

I've now netted some java moss to some of the terracing in hopes of getting a carpeting type effect that spills over the wall. The blue netting looks really REALLY daggy, but hopefully the java moss will grow through it soon (its only been a couple of weeks so far) and it will be hidden soon. ** pics to come **

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

heres my tank as it looks today .. its now minus most of the green plants and fish :)

the brownish plants that are showing in the pics have also been removed now.

Posted Image

these particular plants have been loving the change in conditions.. they have been sprouting and rooting like there is no tomorrow - no idea why

Posted Image

the Java moss is totally unaffected also.. but hasn't had the growth spurt of the others

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

I've just moved house, so my tank has been pulled apart, and reassembled once again. Unfortunately I lost a lot of the plants since the bucket they were in got lost outside for two days in the freezing weather.. we found it finally wrapped in a tarp so it had no light either. :(

Anyways.. this is what its looking like today. Its just a tad on the bare side :(

Posted Image

Close up of my experimental Java moss attachments

Posted Image

I can tell you one thing.. the marbled hatchets are tough lil fellas! they took a 100% water change no problems :( .. The neons did too, but they are the cockroaches of the fish world - not much knocks them off :() The moss isn't really growing much since i've attached it though.. Will it attach to the stone like I want? :(

Thanks Mango .. if the moss doesn't take off I'll track down some riccia. And dont worry..I'm def putting in a couple of BN's. I'm wanting either Peppermints or Albinos, depending on what I can get at what price. My last bn was just the standard garden variety, but Mr Suckyface was awesome. I'm very partial to cats and loaches :(

Doesn't riccia need huge amounts of light? I love the look of it but I've always steered clear as I only ever had 2 x 10,000K tubes on my 4' planted tank. Red plants slowly turn pink on me, so I assumed riccia was out. Hope I am wrong! :(

I'm running a daylight strength marine globe (left over from my salty experiments), so light shouldn't be a problem. Usually I get the opposite effect and plants grow long and spindly on me & I have to cut the amount of time the light is on in order to get them to bush up

It should be ok, the plant "Red Tiger Lotus" requires very bright light...more than riccia, but it seems to be doing very well under 2 tubes...so guess Riccia should be ok. Also mouse, just wondering where you are located. might be able to get some breeders for albinos and peppermints for ya :D Recent I bout 6 albinos for $50 :thumbs: Regards Mango :grouphug:

Archived