How much to feed

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a moderate size spawn approx 100-150 fry now12 days old. They are growing well on fresh BBS but I'm not sure how much I should be feeding them. I feed 4 times a day and there is rarely any food left when I go to feed the next feed. I feed slightly more each day as they grow. I know with dry food it's usually as much as they will eat in around 5 minutes or so but what about live food and fry. Should I be feeding enough so they are able to constantly feed or should it all be gone in a short time. I have live plants in the tank and see the fry spend a lot of time picking at them. I also note that most of their bellies look full between feeds . Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - while I don't want to starve my babies I don't want to over feed either and this is my first try at breeding so any advice would be great. Thanks

Posted

If you're able to feed often then yeah constant feeding is best. The only problem is when uneaten food ends up rotting in the tank. But it doesn't sound like that's what's happening here.

Posted

I fed mine 3 x a day from free swimming. Sounds like they're getting enough. :)

Posted

Thank you. They seem to be growing well although as with most spawns there are a few smaller fry- their little bellies are full so they are getting enough just much smaller than some of the big guys. I squirt the BBS all around the tank and into the plants so everyone can get some. :)