All Australian Fishkeepers Please Read!

NickAu

I suspect it's quite late for action for hobbyists. But of course, it's always worth a go so I encourage everyone to sign the petitions. There were similar actions about 3 or 4 years ago. AusAqua members ran a Twitter campaign, there were a couple of petitions, emails etc. It stalled things a little bit but here we are again. Will be interesting to see what happens now. Maybe now more than ever we need to get stuck into breeding bettas.

I saw that on another forum and as I am only new to fishkeeping I had no idea. Only been doing it 4 months now.

Maybe now more than ever we need to get stuck into breeding bettas.

My guy has made his first bubble nest. So all is good in fish world?

• 2 weeks later...

Well the actions have now been delayed by 12 months. I'm kinda glad I didn't panic buy like I did in 2010. It seems like the industry is taking this a little more seriously and banding together a bit. They should have done that to start off with. Now they have a year to prove that the science supporting batch testing isn't all that sound.

Hobbyists might whine about their hobby being ruined but when it comes down to it no one I know would really want to see Australia threatened by disease. And if someone could prove to me that batch testing will definitely prevent iridovirus most of us would concede. However the disease is already here. It's kinda like saying let's ban the importation of cane toads. Yes, of course, fine, but what's going to be done about the problem that already exists here.

And the other thing that irks me is that the current import rules aren't being strictly followed by all importers, so how exactly are they going to implement rules that are even more difficult to follow?

• 4 months later...

It seems like the industry is taking this a little more seriously and banding together a bit. They should have done that to start off with. Now they have a year to prove that the science supporting batch testing isn't all that sound.

​Does anyone know how much is being done??? I feel like the delay happened and it went quiet and now i'm wondering if in 6 months it will be back to fishkeeping doomsday cause everyone sat on there heels and breathed a sigh of relief and promptly forgot it was a postponement .
hopefully there's some research being carried out which will be able to provide an alternative to batch testing and the high kill rate needed.

Really have no idea what is being done. I had the impression that Aquarium Industries was doing something. Hobbyist can get public opinion going but in reality only the industry itself can have an effect on the new rules.  Hobbyist can get public opinion going but in reality only the industry itself can have an effect on the new rules.  Money talks.