Other fish to keep with female bettas

StephanieBell

So I've had a sorority for a while now. One of my girls died a few months ago, leaving me with 3 and today I've had another girl die leaving just 2 in the tank together. I've had them for a couple of years now so I think they're in their senior years.

They seem to be very peaceful with each other so far (they have all always been very peaceful) but I know they shouldn't really be left alone in there together.

I don't think I'll be keeping bettas anymore, I've enjoyed it, but it's just too much work cleaning and mantaining all the individual tanks (I have boys too). It's becoming annoying and not fun. So when my current fish babies pass away, I would like to just have my 40 litre tank (current sorority - if you can still call it that) with something different. Just some little tetras or something really basic.

The issue is what do I do for now? Can I add another kind of fish (like the tetras) to my sorority and will that keep the girls from bullying each other? Are they ok to leave alone in there just as a pair?

I have two smaller tanks that I could use but I really want to avoid it, as I don't want to rip all the plants out of the 40 litre and I can't handle 2 more tanks to look after on top of what I already have.

I'm assuming its about a 45cm long tank for it to be 40L. For your tank size you don't really want anything that exceeds about 5cm otherwise it'll become extra work for you :)

If so you can start with a lot of various bottom feeders. I personally would go for a group (4-7) corydoras. Probably something less boisterous like panda, trillieneatus (also known as julii), hastatus or even pygmus.

Otherwise ottos or small plecos (L104, or even a juvenile hypancistrus - l333, l066 etc).

For the rest of the tank a small to medium schooling tetra. Something like a Serpae or Rosy.

I hope that helps. :)

Thanks guys!

The corydoras hastatus look cute. From what I've read they need to be kept in groups. What would be the minmum number to keep them happy?

Also would it be possible to keep a small group of rummynoses with the corys too? (Maybe not while I have my betta girls in there - that's probably too many fish for a smallish tank).

Think the tank is a bit wider than 40cm, maybe 50-60cms wide and I think it's a little over 40 litres.

All corydoras should be in groups of 4 or more. They are a very social fish. I keep my pandas in a group of 4 and seem fine with it :)

I think 3 Female Bettas, 4-6 Rummynoses and 4 dwarf corys (hastatus etc.) would be fine in a tank. Would be a little more maintenance than you currently do but probably not too much.

I've never found serpaes to be nippy but I guess I never really kept them for a long time either.