Fry Size

250 posts in this topic

Posted

ok I have measured again. the biggest are 1.8 cm and the smallest are 4mm. most are between 1.8 and 1.2 cm. there are about 4 at 4 mm and about 30 at just over 1 cm. Have given up on the photos, every time I put them into the image box it locks up.

Posted

Lorraine - how many fry do you currently have? If most are between 1.8 and 1.2, I'd guess the average is around the 1.4 mark, but then you have 30 just over the 1cm mark...would this be the 1.2's?

Sorry if I'm being a bit of a pain - just trying to get the records right.

So...

Mr Big: 1.8

Runt: 0.4

Average: 1.4

Would that be about right?

Posted

Lorraine - how many fry do you currently have? If most are between 1.8 and 1.2, I'd guess the average is around the 1.4 mark, but then you have 30 just over the 1cm mark...would this be the 1.2's?

Sorry if I'm being a bit of a pain - just trying to get the records right.

So...

Mr Big: 1.8

Runt: 0.4

Average: 1.4

Would that be about right?

Posted (edited)

yes that would be about right. not sure how many I have exactly. roughly 35 -40 I think.

I also have 6 ct x vt fry. 4 weeks old all exactly the same size at 1.4 cm can't work out why they are the same size as my 5 week old vt's. they are in the same tank only in a large fry net. go figure :giggle:

Edited by Lorraine1

Posted

Cool - I'll add the data in for both your spawns. As for why the 4 week olds are the same size as your 5 week olds - good chance is the space they have to grow and swim in, and the fact there is less competition for the food you put in on that side of the net may be the explanation. :)

Posted

There have been reports I'm pretty sure on here even of different tail types growing at different speeds which could alter people's growth rates along with different water volumes.

Posted

I was thinking that I could expand this to differentiate between fancy, plakats, wilds, tail types, etc, etc, but then we would need a big enough pool of breeders doing the different types to make it worthwhile (and it would be a whole lot of book keeping for me), so I thought I'd keep it simple at this point and just get an overall size chart on the go. I am currently marking the different crosses in my records (more to keep different spawns from same user apart) so it wouldnt be too difficult to expand on that in the future.

Posted

Yeah not worth doing separate, and that's the main thing with a growth chart it is only a guide and people need not get upset if their growth is below the average.

Heaps of factors can play into it.

Especially with giants as their size is much larger growth would either be slower, or much larger at each age.

Wilds are a whole different can of worms as some are mature in 3 months, some 18 months.

Posted

Yep - *****GUIDE****

Everyone needs to understand that. And getting bigger faster may not necessarily be the best thing for your fish, if you want to keep them around for a while.

If line breeding or show breeding, then pumping them out and growing them fast, to get quick results in preparation to move onto the next improvement, may be all you're interested in (and there's nothing wrong with that), but it may shorten the life of your fish. If you are line or show breeding, a quick turn over is not a bad thing.

Being a little slower in growth may be better for your Betta, and you will get the same results the quick turn over guys and girls above get...eventually, but you may need a little extra room to hold fish.

Giants would need their own chart, as would each different type of Wild - I'll leave that one up to you, Ash, Adam and Les I think :)

Posted

I also have 6 ct x vt fry. 4 weeks old all exactly the same size at 1.4 cm

So your runt for the CT x VT @ 4 weeks is also 1.4?

Posted

CTPK F1 Wk 8

Mr Big: 1.8cm

Runt: 1.2cm

Average: 1.5

Posted

9 wks old

Mr Big - 4.5cm

Miss Little - 3cm

Average - 3.5cm

New spawn of only 1 fry @ 1wk old.

Mr Loner - 0.4cm approx

Posted

Not sure if it's any use to this thread, but in all my spawn logs I include one of those hideous time trackers: http://www.tickerclub.com/
That way as I'm updating the forum I have an automatic sense of exactly how old they are - as these are relative to the time they started, I always mention in the post what the days/weeks/months are of age.
I always add the average size in the post too... I did this more and moreso in the later logs.

Helps me keep track (not that I've done anything with it since) but the data is there if you want more.
-Ness

Posted

I was the exact opposite - Detailed down to the last letter in my first logs, then got lazy in my later ones.

Now I am back on here a little more, I will do my best to improve my sloppy record keeping. Even if this exercise doesn't end up giving a definitive result, it will at least show correlation between spawn size/tank size and overall growth.

Yellow-Icon_zpsac250c40.jpg

Posted

CTPK F1 Wk 9

Mr Big: 1.9cm

Runt: 1.2cm

Average: 1.8

Posted

10 wks old

Mr Big - 5cm

Miss Little - 3.5cm

Average - 4cm

New spawn of only 1 fry @ 2wk old.

Mr Loner - 0.6cm approx

Posted (edited)

Thank you

Week 10's looking good

I'm impressed Mr Loner is still going :)

Edited by Brenton

Posted

So am I Brenton. :) He/she's loving the fresh BBS. I wiped, syphoned & did a water change yesterday. ;) It was having a good time in the waves hahahaha.

1 person likes this

Posted

A day late...posting not measuring ;)

Week 10 CTPK F1 (Marble HMPK x Turquoise CT)

Mr Big: 2.3cm

Runt: 1.3cm

Average: 1.9cm

Week 1 CTPK F1 (Black Orchid CT x Black Marble HMPK)

Average: approx 0.5cm

Posted

11 wks old

Mr Big - 5.5cm

Miss Little - 3.5cm

Average - 4.5cm

1 fry @ 3wks old.

Mr Loner - 0.7cm approx

Posted

Thanks Jay

Posted

Here's a pic of Loner too. :D

ad965ba8-13c8-4316-8e8a-391198d79b26.jpg

b9b42c31-7ac6-4573-9827-8150a9c73c5f.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Week 11 CTPK F1 (Marble HMPK (Jason) x Turquoise CT)

Mr Big: 2.5cm

Runt: 1.5cm

Average: 2.0cm

Week 2 CTPK F1 (Black Orchid CT x Black Marble HMPK)

Mr Big: 0.8cm

Runt: 0.4cm

Average: approx 0.5cm

Fingers crossed (I have eggs for CTPK line #3 :D )

Posted

Crossed for you. :)

Posted (edited)

12 wks old

Mr Big - 5.5

Miss Little - 4cm

Average - 4.5cm

Sheldon

8ffc2615-17c7-4405-b95a-4a08b511ddd0.jpg

Princess

05593286-b895-41c9-8819-35d3ae8a7c7e.jpg

Mr Loner