Building my own tank - Size?

Tallee

OK so i am thinking i want to build a tank for my desk at work for a fighter.

I'm wonder if there is a ratio calculator at all. The problem i have is where i am going to put the tank it is about 12.5cm wide. So i need to know how big i can go with length and height so it doesn't tip over and stuff?

I will get the glass cut for me, so that's not an issue. This will be a first time for me. but not really worried if i waste money on it and it doesn't work. Its not going to cost a great deal considering its likely to only be off cuts of glass anyways.

thanks for advise in advance!

type into google "metric aquarium volume calculator"

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/converter/volume-calculator.php - is a good one.

If you look to have around 5L for volume, then 20cm long x 12.5cm width x 20cm high would give you that. Once the weight of the water, any decorations, maybe even a small filter and heater (you can get mini filters and heaters these days), the tank should be heavy enough to not be knocked over.

If a small internal heater makes it look too cluttered, you could always go for a heating pad under the tank.

Above all, remember we will need to see pictures :)

Hey Tallee,

You will also want to consider thickness of the glass as well. Even though its a small tank you will want to make sure its sturdy enough to withstand everyday wear and tear (especially since its a work tank). The following link is a useful calculator if you plan to make your own aquariums. I would recommend using 3.8 safety factor or above. Probably even 5 for a work tank if it will get bumped alot.

http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

I would say a 25cm cube would be ideal for keeping a betta in a low maintenance situation but due to size constraints I would also go with Brenton's suggestion or even bigger if you want.

Best of luck and be sure to update your progress!

• Like 1

So the tank-to-be is the MG fella pictured? You could always go for something long and flat (35cmx12.5cmx15cm)...it would give you a kind of glass top to your partition, and give you more room for a heater and filter :)

Unfortunately not for the MG he passed away on me. not sure of the cause. he was from LFS. Its for my red double tail. That size sounds pretty good. was just worried how long i could go before it gets unstable.

Dividers are pretty sturdy things - I've seen people standing on them to put up Xmas decorations...but what about people walking into your office space? What happens if they smack into the partition with their elbow, foot, or a trolley - with the added weight on top, it could get a decent lean happening pretty quick, depending on how well it's locked in place. Test out the lateral movement as well as it's ability to take load.

Brenton, I just tested the sturdiness of the divider.. i shook it backwards and forwards and the water in my currently bowl hardly moved. I didn't realise they were that strong. So i have been looking at a size. Turns out it is only 9.5 wide. So i was thinking 60cm x 9.5cm x 25cm gives me 14L weighing 18kg. just have to see how much its going to cost to get the glass cut now.

What type of glass do I need? tampered?

Soooooo narrow! If you use 4mm glass you lose another 8mm on the inside measurement. It will be a pain to aquascape if you can barely get your hand in. That vase you've got there is much wider than that at it's widest point. I'm wondering if it would be an option to have a slight overhang on either side. Not too much, maybe just 2 cm either side?

Yeah I know but there will still be more volume of water for the poor little bugger.

Don’t really aquascape anyways so thats not an issue. I might get him a java moss if he is a good boy :P

I’m all for overhang if people think it will sit there fine?

Another thing. If I was wanting to go Perspex I would need to go thinker then 4mm right? Cause 4mm of glass and Perspex is different? – a mate just put this idea in my head.

I really do like complicating things don’t I. This is why I like the “sound board” we have here so we can bounce off ideas.

Perspex would work, and you wouldnt need to go much thicker as you're not dealing with strong water flow, which would put additional strains on the seams. An overhang would also work, but you would need thicker perspex on the bottom to guard against flex. Remember, perspex (acrylic) is bonded with different agents than glass so if you're looking to do it yourself (which is very doable in this instance), keep that in mind.

To be on the safe side, you could always get a piece of ply (something like marine ply would be good) cut to the same size as your tank, and then have that screwed into the top of the divider to give you more width (if work would allow it).

Once you have your tank built - test, test, and test some more before putting on the divider :)

Ok I will check out prices for both glass and Perspex plus the tools to make.

This is what I am now thinking. This allows for a little over hang.

60cm x 10cm x 25cm

10mm

1x - 600mm x 100mm - Bottom

6mm

2 x - 600mm x250mm - Long side

2x - 250mmx 88mm - Short Side

3mm

1x - 594mm x 90mm - Lid

There is no way they will allow me to drill holes unfortunately and the only reason I want it on the divider and not my desk is because of the lady on the other side of the divider likes looking at him also :P

I just figured it a good size to start with and learn. All trial and error.

Smallest net I could find was 7.6cm but betta scoops are 5cm so should still be good J

Much appreciate all the help/ideas.