PantyHose save baby shrimp?

MelbourneGlobal

Does pantyhose really save baby shrimp getting sucked into the powerhead? CRS & RCS?

Has anyone successfully done this? Can the babies get sucked and trapped against the pantyhose from the water flow/pressure?

On a side note I've got shrimp carrying eggs. Do I do anything for the potential babies? Do they just feed the same as the adults? When would they start to appear visible to me?

They eat the same as the parents.

To stop them getting sucked into a filter you can get mesh guards for inlet pipes, or use sponge filters. Sponge filters are good as shrimp love eating off them.

You generally notice shrimp babies fairly easily as little white specs on your glass

• 4 weeks later...

I used to keep shrimp and I too had success with panty hose to stop the shrimplets getting sucked up. The only problem I found was it may sometimes reduce the flow, so making sure you clean it is a necessity. As for the shrimplets, they will eat the same as the adults, mine seemed to love decomposing IAL. They should be visible straight away, but mine seemed to hide for the first few days.

Dan.