Fishroom Makeover

shadoh

It has been some time since I have done any "hard work" in the fishroom. Slowly but surely, tanks have crept into the main house and have taken over the spare bedroom. It has come to the point where nobody can sleep in there with the bubbling of 4 spawn tanks, 1 growout tank and 2 brine shrimp hatcheries. The kitchen has a 4 bay barracks taking up the space where the kettle used to sit and my evil empire gudgeons are plotting my demise from a 3 ft tank in the loungeroom.

A few weeks ago, while in a LFS, I noticed that they were selling a second hand 12 bay barracks that was about 4ft long. Before I knew what I was doing, I had bought it, a new heater, pump and media for the sump. I managed to get it out to the car before realizing I had nowhere to put it... A quick detour to Bunnings on the way home and I was set. Two shelving units and some cheap fluro lighting and I was set to organize the fishroom and get those extra tanks out of the house for good. That was a far as I got. I unloaded the car, walked into the fishroom and couldn't decide where anything would go. I sat it down and left it in the too hard basket.... Until yesterday. While working, I hatched a plan. By maneuvering various pieces of furniture around tetris style, I would be able to make everything fit!

I could put the new shelves, barracks, the 4 bay barracks from the kitchen, 4 wild betta tanks, my spawn tanks and tubs of aged water along the wall I had my 4 foot sorority tank on. The sorority would be stripped back and moved to the wall that my wilds currently sit. The shelving the wild tanks currently sit on will be moved into the office to replace the crappy melamine shelves. My guppy tanks and growout tank would sit on the top shelf in the office and books would be stored in plastic tubs (to keep water tight in case of leaks from tanks above) in the lower shelves. My 2 Aqua One growout barracks will be moved out of the office and into the fishroom where they previously sat. One on the end of the bar and one on top of the bar fridge. More photos as work progresses. I will do a video tour once complete :D/>

IMG_5522_zps2253c152.jpg

IMG_5527_zps0f1e2971.jpg

Edited by shadoh

Haven't noticed those lights at Bunnings before. Ae they all wired ready to go? What brand? and how cheap is cheap?

They are all wired and ready to go (no on/off switches, but didn't bother me). The brand is Compton Lighting and they are $36 each.

Brenton, they come with stock standard fluro bulbs. They are fine for what I want - illuminating my tanks. Any plants I have in there will have low light requirements, so not need any special lighting. I guess you could buy new tubes that were more in the plant light spectrum if you were inclined to.

The shelf I plan on setting my wilds up on has a 20y/o green tube in it. Came with a second hand aquarium light I bought way back then. Doesn't throw a lot of light, but penetrates the tannins and allows the fish to be seen without freaking them out :)

Oh, and they are bare bulbed, so if you are looking for something all enclosed, move along, nothing to see here (actually, they do have enclosed ones - you pay an extra $15-$20 for it from memory...)

Without cover:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_crompton-6w-slimline-linkable-fluorescent-light_P4322561.aspx

Although these say they have an on/off switch... $36.90

With cover:

$49.90

These are both linkable too, so you only need to plug it in once and you can power up to six units - nice.

Brenton, I have a few of those linkable ones with switches, but would have needed at least 3 per shelf, as they are approximately 40cms long. I'm happy with my batten lighting. I have them all connected to the one powerboard that I can switch on and off at the wall.

Thanks Peter. When you are back home and feeling up to it, I'll be happy to bring you over to check it out (hopefully it will be complete - I tend to procrastinate...)

Edited by shadoh

Thanks Peter. When you are back home and feeling up to it, I'll be happy to bring you over to check it out (hopefully it will be complete - I tend to procrastinate...)

Better stop procrastinating Jarrod, I'm home already. Yes it's a week ahead of schedule. Hopefully I'll get permission to come along on Tuesday night.

Let me know and I'll pick you up mate. From what I had heard you were supposed to be in there much longer. Glad you are making good progress.

As for the fishroom, been too busy to progress any further since the last photos. Perhaps next week...