Are rams horn snails a problem?

irsacae

I decided that all out war on the snails was taking its toll on me so I decided to embrace them but they get in the leaf litter and eat the leaves back to a skeleton is snail poo a problem or is pre digested leaf litter good in a tank with regards to micro organisms developing for fry food?

Check out this bad boy

P7050002.jpg

Kev

Edited by irsacae

Wow! That's HUGE!! I'm not a fan of uninvited snails. They just take over and they do increase the bio load on the tank. I don't think snail poo is quite as problematic as fish poo but basically it's still poo. I'm not sure how many snails is too much. I generally get sick of them before I find out. Maybe you could sell the big ones? Shame to just kill them. I'm sure people would take them off your hands. Especially since you seem to be able to grow them giant sized.

Ramshorn snails are good. They eat algae off the glass and plants. But they much prefer to eat IAL, and can leave quite a mess. I love them personally. I just change my water change levels to suit the bioload of the tank.

I started putting rams horns in my fry containers/tanks as I tend to be a bit heavy handed when it comes to feeding and there was a definite improvement in water quality as they were eating any of the excess food off of the floor so I went mad and put them every where :notsure: mmmm rethinking that one now.But they are staying in with the fry.

I couldn't sleep at night if I sold them it would be like having a stall at the markets selling weeds

Kev

LOL @ Razzi

Hey Kev, I have the rams but just keep the numbers down to a hand full. Like you said they are great for uneaten food. If your snails are becoming a problem then cut back on the food and the population will be brought back in check. if you want to eradicate totally then there are product like No Planaria that can be used. I think Seaview aquariums stock it.

Cheers

Les

I fought a huge war against snails it was so bad the floor of my tank was moving at points, not the same as these the more pointy shell kind. NOTHING WORKED not cutting back on food, not products, not daily removals.... The battle was sucessfully won with the purchase of 2 yoyo loaches :D they loved them not a snail since!

Edited by Neffy