The fish table...

Brenton

I've started this post a number of times recently and been side-tracked or waylaid in one manner or another. This time, I figured I'd get as much done as I could and just post it. I'll add anything I miss or add as we go.

I apologise up front for the rubbish photography skills. I never expected to take up hobby A, and have to become proficient in hobby B, just to compliment hobby A! :alright:/>/>

My Fish Table!

http://i718.photobuc...om/DSC_0043.jpg

This was taken about a week ago (I think). The pictures on the wall have now been moved to the other side of the room.

And the condition of the barracks and QT tanks has also changed:

Barracks: http://i718.photobuc...om/DSC_0017.jpg

QT: http://i718.photobuc...om/DSC_0018.jpg

The barracks have a current population of two female CT's direct from Shadoh. Forgot to add these: http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww188/btomlinson/2nd%20Female/DSC_0010.jpg & http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww188/btomlinson/Others/DSC_0015.jpg

They will soon be introduced to this gentleman: http://i718.photobuc...0I/DSC_0010.jpg

And the game will well and truly be afoot!

I have another female CT and one green HM male coming to join the party soon. I'll not be ready for this coming show, but hopefully I'll not be far away.

This is the display barracks currently residing in the lounge: http://i718.photobuc...om/DSC_0009.jpg

Occupants from left to right, Prime; Midas, and William

Last but not least would be the Convicts (Ma and Pa Kettle): http://i718.photobuc...om/DSC_0016.jpg Oh, and somewhere in there would be Mr Suck-a-tease (the better-half named him): http://i718.photobuc...uck-a-tease.jpg (is anyone able to sex this fella?)

And this is probably one of the best shots I've managed so far (and yet, it's still blurry): http://i718.photobuc...ts/DSC_0016.jpg

Well. that's where I'm at in the 6-8 weeks since I got bitten...this is supposed to be fun and educational, isnt it? ;)/>

The wife has now mentioned racks...

Edited by Brenton

Nothing beats a good rack.

I love your comment on hobby B as if I don't waste enough money on hobby A I am now looking for a betta camera to take pics of it.It all gets a bit easier when you dedicate a room to them and its all on racks once you heat the room then the roofs the limit no more heaters and power boards.

Kev

I'll have to get some picks up of the new layout. I picked up a utility shelving unit for a very good price at Bunnings - each shelf weighted to 200kgs. Currently, my biggest tank weighs in around 60Kgs so I've got plenty to spare on the safe side.

I've set them up in a side-by-side config at the moment as that was easier to move the tanks onto. I'll buy another utility shelf next pay and move up another two shelves in height. The table has left the building already.

Still on individual heaters at the moment but with the power boards currently in here, heating the room seems like a much better idea.

If only I could get my couples to do the right thing now and spawn for me. First effort was a disaster. Second has been underway for only a few hours but they are still busy flaring at each other to worry about anything else just yet...

Now, where that complicated new camera I brought...I need to take some slightly blurry pictures...

I promise, I'm not doing this on purpose, I'm just really bad at understanding cameras. As soon as I figure it out, I'll post better pics:

DSC_00022.jpg

Above is the Convict tank on top (10 fry are all on adult Brine Shrimp now and growing fast - Ma and Pa still aren't talking)

Under them is the new girls dorm (was the lounge room display barracks)

Closer to the camera is the barracks, with the QT tank under it. The spawning tank is actually behind me from where I took the pic.

And this was my attempt at showing the night time setup:

DSC_0004.jpg

The other half of the room is in total disarray at the moment. So much so that nobody is getting anywhere near the study desk, let alone the family PC. It's the laptop or nothing at the moment...

LOL. Are you pressing the button down partway and giving it time to focus? What's the make and model of your camera? I take most of my shots with my iPhone 4S because I always have it with me. It's only when I'm trying to get macro shots that I get the camera out. A room shot should be a snap (pun intended).

Razzi - you are a genius - :applaud:/>/>

So, now I have learned to push the button down part way, I can take infocus shots...

FishRm1.jpg

The convict tank closest, then the barracks. In front is my latest BBS experiment (different brand of eggs). On top of the black cabinet (the fry food cabinet) is the spawn tank.

Under the Convicts is the girls dorm.

Convicts.jpg

The Convict tank

Barracks.jpg

The Barracks

Spawning.jpg

The spawn tank including new dad popping into check on the kids...next time I'll turn the cup so I can see into the thing :blush:/>/>

I should have labelled this thread "Birth of a Fish Room" rather than the Fish Table...I'm slowly taking over ;)

This weekend I have done:

Setup the new shelving unit:

Thenewstand.jpg

Including moving the girls dorm. The barracks have had an overhaul with a new spraybar, substrate, and carding.

I'll pickup a new tank next weekend. When it's cycled I'll move the Convicts, who have a second batch of eggs. Once they've been moved, I'll convert the current Convict tank into a new grow-out tank, and complete building the second set of racks.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I have to work one day overtime next weekend so I'll only have time to pickup the new tank, but I'll earn some extra cash to pay for more new stuff...yay!

Things move along another step :)

Yeah - I've not come to grips with that...not sure I will. I want things to look nice while I try and acheive what I want to acheive with the fish. Sometimes I just like to sit down and look at what I've got and enjoy it - to do that, it needs to alright to look at.

I know I could do what I'm doing by spending a hell of a lot less, but I cant bring myself to settle for less than whatever I can afford to get - if that makes any sense :blink:/>

It may take me longer, but I'll get there when I get there, I guess :notsure:/>

• 4 weeks later...

DSC_0038.jpg

So I've moved along a step or two since I last updated this thread. The second rack is now complete. I've also changed the substrate in the barracks (girls and boys).

We also updated the décor in the Convict tank so it now encapsulates the lost city of Ancients (that would be Egyptian with a touch of Aztec :P/>/>).

I've also broken down the large desk on the opposite side of the room in prep for another rack I'll be getting next weekend. So this:

DSC_0006.jpg

Has now become this:

DSC_0010.jpg

Don't mind the tank, I washed it out today and fitted my new lids. Once the rack is up, this will become my third spawn tank ;)

Update Part II

The barracks was been completely redone now. I wasn't happy with the cloudiness of the water after the last change with the new spraybar and sand substrate. All the airhose had turned white - that cant be good. So I redid the spraybar and used black irrigation tubing (difficult to work with but with a little heat anything is possible).

DSC_0016.jpg

With the new substrate, new light and new glass lid, things look much better, and much clearer, which was the whole point.

DSC_0005.jpg

Only need some live plants now...

As alluded to in the previous post, here is the Convicts tank:

DSC_00112.jpg

And last but not least is the new sorority. Still being setup and still in need of lots more live plants:

DSC_0001.jpg

Edited by Brenton

• 3 months later...

Been awhile since I last did any updates on here. Things have moved, some have changed purpose, but all in all, the more things change the more they stay the same :)

The old Convict tank, which became a second sorority and is being prepared to become a grow-out for my first F1 CTPK

DSC_0007.jpg

Only the far left is the currently only occupant - my Bristlenose the wife has named Suck-a-Tear (as in to rip paper)...apart from one Ramshorn

I hesitated on posting this one but I may as well show the good with the bad...the Sorority

DSC_0008.jpg

Only two turquoise CT's and two little copper HM's left in here currently, and a whole bunch of Pennywort I need to get rid of as it dies from the bottom up. If it's not Anubias, I will kill it. There was a couple of Ramshorns and two baby BN's in here but I've not seen the BN's for some time and presume they became lunch for the girls at some point. I think only one Ramshorn remains. I did remove everything and couldn't find any bodies anywhere so they are either really good at hiding or have been completely consumed...

Next is the Barracks rack.

dac2e273-80dd-4eda-bd6c-caab096940bc.jpg

From the top: Storage of miscellaneous stuff; Temporary holding containers for photos, illness, isolation (to be replaced with female breeders barracks soon); barracks (to become the male breeders barracks - still needs live plants); Female holding barracks; spare shelf

Next is the Spawning Rack

DSC_0010-1.jpg

Not sure why this is sideways (may be a cache issue after I edited it). From what would be the top:

It was my planted tank experiment that keeled over big time, and is only part way being prepped as another grow out. Need more funds to buy plants etc but will have to wait till after Xmas; Spawning tanks - on the right is my F1 CTPK fry: on the left is Ghost and Pippa who will hopefully provide me with another line of CTPK fry. Under that is storage, and under that is a two and half footer the wife wants in the lounge at some point...

Last but not least is the Spawn tank with a view

DSC_0011.jpg

The black cupboard is the larder where my VE and various ingredients and things live (I have 6 cultures of VE in there currently so if anyone needs some, just let me know). On top of the larder is the two day old fry of my black orchid CT x black marble HMPK. Dad was snacking so he's been removed (hopefully the fry will be free swimming shortly and I'll start a proper spawn log. On the table is my BBS hatchery setup being guarded by my tiger statue who has been with me since Adam was a boy (almost).

On either side of this are the book shelves I've still not got around to sorting out (yes, I am extremely slack). The book shelf on the left also holds my growing Grindal cultures. I also have two Daphnia cultures growing in the laundry where's it a bit cooler.

That's about where I am for now :)

Been awhile since I last did any updates on here. Things have moved, some have changed purpose, but all in all, the more things change the more they stay the same :)

The old Convict tank, which became a second sorority and is being prepared to become a grow-out for my first F1 CTPK

DSC_0007.jpg

Only the far left is the currently only occupant - my Bristlenose the wife has named Suck-a-Tear (as in to rip paper)...apart from one Ramshorn

I hesitated on posting this one but I may as well show the good with the bad...the Sorority

DSC_0008.jpg

Only two turquoise CT's and two little copper HM's left in here currently, and a whole bunch of Pennywort I need to get rid of as it dies from the bottom up. If it's not Anubias, I will kill it. There was a couple of Ramshorns and two baby BN's in here but I've not seen the BN's for some time and presume they became lunch for the girls at some point. I think only one Ramshorn remains. I did remove everything and couldn't find any bodies anywhere so they are either really good at hiding or have been completely consumed...

Next is the Barracks rack.

dac2e273-80dd-4eda-bd6c-caab096940bc.jpg

From the top: Storage of miscellaneous stuff; Temporary holding containers for photos, illness, isolation (to be replaced with female breeders barracks soon); barracks (to become the male breeders barracks - still needs live plants); Female holding barracks; spare shelf

Next is the Spawning Rack

DSC_0010-1.jpg

Not sure why this is sideways (may be a cache issue after I edited it). From what would be the top:

It was my planted tank experiment that keeled over big time, and is only part way being prepped as another grow out. Need more funds to buy plants etc but will have to wait till after Xmas; Spawning tanks - on the right is my F1 CTPK fry: on the left is Ghost and Pippa who will hopefully provide me with another line of CTPK fry. Under that is storage, and under that is a two and half footer the wife wants in the lounge at some point...

Last but not least is the Spawn tank with a view

DSC_0011.jpg

The black cupboard is the larder where my VE and various ingredients and things live (I have 6 cultures of VE in there currently so if anyone needs some, just let me know). On top of the larder is the two day old fry of my black orchid CT x black marble HMPK. Dad was snacking so he's been removed (hopefully the fry will be free swimming shortly and I'll start a proper spawn log. On the table is my BBS hatchery setup being guarded by my tiger statue who has been with me since Adam was a boy (almost).

On either side of this are the book shelves I've still not got around to sorting out (yes, I am extremely slack). The book shelf on the left also holds my growing Grindal cultures. I also have two Daphnia cultures growing in the laundry where's it a bit cooler.

That's about where I am for now :)

Jealous. I so want the barracks & female barracks. :wub::crowntail::giant: I love the Betta emoticons. :D

Go back to the beginning Jay, you'll see I didn't start with a lot either. I was lucky to pickup my barracks secondhand from a not-so-local fish shop. It was out the back in horrible condition and missing a lid. I picked it up cheap, cleaned it up and brought a new lid for nix :)

The next one I'm trying to get custom made, but my tank builder has done his back so it may not be as cheap...