Breeding guppys

Big azza

Hi everyone

I'm wanting to learn as much about guppy genitics as possible. I have tried reading as much info as possible but I'm more of a hands on person with learning. I would like to go back to basics to breeding guppies.

I'm really liking the dragon head guppy,and from what I have read you need a half black and snake skin (can anyone confirm )

So I have had two female guppys drop fry

First guppy is a half black which had 8 fry 7 is half black 1 is snake skin

Seconde guppy is a snake skin which had 25 fry two days ago

How would I go about breeding to achive dragon head guppy?

Should I breed black with black and snake skin with snake skin and pick the best from every generation and then cross

Breed them.

Or

Breed half black with snake skin and pick the best of that generation.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated

Thanks heaps

Aaron

I`m not an expert guppy breeder or anything, in fact I`ve only ever kept a few from a LFS a few years ago, but I`m probably going to get a few guppies from Fishchicks, who has some AWESOME guppies!! I`ve never heard of a dragon head guppy, is this one??

Also, I think someone at Fishchicks had some books about guppies/guppy genetics, check out her facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/someone-Aquatics/195270263592?ref=ts&fref=ts

I will be watching closely to see how this breeding project goes!!

Dan.

Hi Dan

Now you dun it? Lol

Now I want two types of guppys that one you put a photo up off and one exactly like that one but black and white

All my guppys are from a lfs also so I'll be starting from scratch

Haha, I know... The first time I looked at her guppies I straight away fell in love. I too like the dragon head guppies after searching them up... No, I need to stay strong!! My plan is to have one strain so I can really concentrate on them. My sister has a guppy that resembles the HB AOC Guppy, I`ll get a photo of it, maybe I can convince her to breed them. Keep us updated, especially with photos!!

Dan.

Thanks!! I`d love to get into Blue Moscow guppies- so basically a fully blue guppy with a sheen/metalic look. I`ve read alot about line breeding/ inbreeding but it seems you need a lot more tanks than I originally thought, most breeders recommend 8 per strain and thats to maintain it!! I have three 30L that will be dedicated to them and then a 3ft community that I could house some females, a 2ft community that I could house males or something like that so I have five tanks to work with possibly six, how many tanks do you have for them??

Dan.

At the moment I have three tanks

1st tank is for the adult guppys

2nd tank has the half black fry

3rd tank has snake skin fry

I'll have more tanks soon as I am building a betta barracks so I'll be able to seperate males from females Im trying to be able to do it with 5 tanks

I'm only going to keep the first drop of fry and cull or give away what I don't need

I almost forgot I also have a 6 litre tank as a birthing tank

Wow, you have/ going to have a great set up, you`ll have them dragon heads in no time!! My plan is to have two lines: one from female 1, the other from female 2. Then I will keep the best trio from each of the first batch (keeping each batch separate) and breed them (brother/sister) then chose the best of the fry and breed them to the other line. I have no idea if it`ll work/ produce quality guppies but it`s how I`m going to give it a try. Knowing my luck I`ll just end up with a whole heap of deformed, inbred blue moscow guppies :lol:/>

Dan.