Shrimp for a 10 litre Aquarium?

FlamyHeavens

So I have this 10 litre rectangular tank without a filter & heater and I've got no idea what to do with it.

Is it fine to put shrimp in there? I really wanted to keep a few White Cloud Mountain Minnows in there but... it's definitly to small for it. Could I sneak maybe 5 Minnows in there?

If not I'm willing to flesh out some money on a small filter and heater for shrimp

Suggestions?

Edited by CalicoRain

10L with a heater sounds like a perfect place for Betta ;p

You can probably put a sponge filter and keep some of shrimps in it though.

Well I wasn't really set on bettas but I might consider, would it be possible to keep a betta & a few shrimp with a small sponge filter and heater?

Edited by CalicoRain

Shrimp and Bettas together are considered a bad idea by most people you ask.

It's pretty likely that a Betta would eat the shrimp. I looked into this before.

Alright thanks, White Cloud Minnows aren't an option are they? I was really hoping for some in the tank but is 10L to small?

what I found is not the tank too small is how much maintenance you want to do.

The rule of thumb is

small tank + only a few fish = maintenance regular (maybe weekly water changes)

small tank + lots of fish = maintenance super regular (like daily water changes at the minimum)

Large tank + only a few fish = maintenance semi-regular (maybe monthly or fortnightly water changes)

Large tank + lots of fish = maintenance regular (maybe weekly water changes)

Keep in mind this is only a rule of thumb there's so many more factors to it but it gives you an idea. It's not impossible to keep the number of fish you want in a small tank but you would have do the necessary maintenance.

• Like 1

Ok Thanks everybody!

I'm probably going to decide whether to keep:

- 5 Minnows

- A betta and a few shrimp

Both options will be planted for ammonia control and to provide hiding places for the shrimp from the betta

Thanks for the advice guys! :D

White clouds are excellent bowl/small tank fish - keep the lid on as they are darty little dudes and might fly out the top.

If you go down the Betta track, you'll need a heater - be warned, they are contagious and it's hard to have "just one"

Shrimp are the other tropical option - don't put them together if you want the shrimp to breed, this is the joy of these little dudes.... they're pretty great.

Start with Glass or Cherry shrimp and look into live plants (also you'll need a good light for growth) shrimp have virtually no bioload so you will only need to do very basic water changes.

Best of luck.