Guppy birthing helP

Big azza

Hi everyone last night I found two fry in my female tank and I don't know much about guppies giving birth is there something where I will know 100% she is going to give birth so I can seperate her thanks big azza

They take about 4 weeks before they give birth. If you mate them in a controlled manner you could separate her at around 3 weeks. Or if you have some floating plants in there you should have plenty that survive. Assuming there isn't anything else in the tank that's a really good hunter.

Hi bettarazzi my guppies are from a lfs so m unsure when they are due I have manged to save 3 fry and I have them seperated and going to use them in a controlled environment for selective breeding

All my guppies are in my main tank which has male and female guppies,zebra danios and a female betta

I have a 20 litre tank setup for the female guppies to give birth in its just hard to know when to put them in the tank.

I also have a guppy birthing trap but I don't really want to use it I feel as if you are torchering the poor fish

Thanks Aaron

Probably the easiest thing is to time it from the drops. As soon as you notice fry, assume that she'll be pregnant again in a few days and count 3 weeks from there and you should be able to catch the next lot. Alternatively keep them in a guppy only tank with lots of plants and you'll get more fry than you can cope with.

Bettarazzi I think that would be the best thing to do is a guppy only tank

So far I have 3 females I think are ready to drop and I have them seperated in a 20 litre tank with java moss filter heater so I'll just wait till they drop then I can keep track and write everything down and start fresh with the fry

I also have another 20 litre tank which will be available soon so that way I can have male tank and female tank

So that way I can start my selecetive breeding

Thanks Aaron

A couple of days before a guppy gives birth u can notice that her body will Square off. By this I mean if u look at her from behind she will look like a box.

In saying that its really hard to c this until u have seen a few then watched for when she drops.

Other than that razzi has u covered he knows his stuff.

Java moss would need to be a pretty decent quantity. It tends to sink. I find I get more survivors with floating plants. Not sure if it's because they naturally head to the surface or the floating plants make it harder for them to be hunted. But that seems to work better for me than a tank with dense but low growing plants. Maybe tease out the java moss so that it's spread vertically a bit more.