Lfs guppies

Big azza

Yeah I feel the same about majestic, they never seem to have much in the way of fresh water fish when I have been there and the whole feel of the shop to me feels customer unfriendly. I have never bought fish from them. I heard really good things about that store and it was a let down when I went there. Hurstville and Taren point are the only local ones I know of.

There are 2 in the eastern suburbs I like ... aquaristic at Rosebery and B&C at Matraville you should check them out if you havent already. There is another one in surry hills I have been told is small but good but I have never been there or know the name of it and I dont know what parking will be like around sury hills, the parking can be pretty bad at rosebery too.

Then there is Auburn and another I know at moorebank Ive been meaning to get to but they are not so local fish stores. Might be closer for you if you live at sutherland straight down heathcoate rd to moorebank.

Ive been to that one at moorbank it was ok and been to bc they are good.hurstville started out real good but then every time I went to have a look there was a lot of dead fish so that turned me off big time

Sutherland they just **** me they think they know it all plus last time I got fish from them it ended up killing all my fish

Pet barn had some halfmoon bettas for $30 nice looking to

Wow didn't know petbarn stocked halfmoon bettas! I thought they just had the standard veil tail ones haha. There's a few aquariums around my way that stock decent guppies. Anyone know monaco in canley vale? They rarely have females but they have some pretty nice males with bright colours and big tails!

It's great to see the big pet stores are recognizing that a range of the fighters is a good idea - I just wish I didn't have to suggest putting a heater in the barracks or whatever setup they have each time.

Oh well, they might learn that selling fish with tail rot isn't a good move? (maybe?)

Guppies are hit and miss from the suppliers - generally they are mostly purchased from a major importer/wholesaler and it's easy to have guppy health drop quickly if it's not treated... They're susceptable to bacterial infections and various other things, a few doses of Melachite Green wouldn't go a-stray.

Look for bright eyes, clean gills and no tears - and I dare say look in the tanks for floaters.

someone has some incredible fancy guppies every now and then, I love my blue metal moscows

-Ness

I'm in country Vic and I've been looking at and buying guppies for the last few months. In January one of my lfs have 5m guppies for $10 and they were pretty good quality, after they came off special they got in some really nice ones. The last couple of weeks I've noticed all guppies at every lfs seem shocking quality , not sure y but just can't find any decent stock. I'm hoping its just a bad batch n the quality gets better. Time will tell

Yeah I go to the pet barn at taren point I never ask them for advice I think you get much better advice on here.the betta halfmoons at pet barn ain't show quality but are still very nice

My first time going to buy a betta I went to Sutherland pet shop wanting to buy a 50 litre tank heater filter gravel but instead I was told I was better of putting them in a 2 litre betta tank no filter no heater so that's what I did cut along story short the bettas died so now I never ask a petshop worker anything at the end of the day all they want is your money and don't really care about your fish

And I know there is good pet shop out their it's just to bad with this **** shops giving them a bad name

Its not just limited to pet shops, you can experience that at lfs too. I had it happen to me with bad advice about elephant nose fish so if your not sure about something my advice is to go home and research it first, dont impulse buy on the advice given as it is possible the advice is wrong.

I don't see why they do that for if they gave me proper advice that kept my fish alive and health they would get all my money.how did your fish go did you manage to save him

I think one day I'll go to every lfs to suss em out so that way I'll know which ones are good and probly start a post on here so that everyone on here know of the good ones and they start buying of them keep the good lfs going

I have been told auburn lfs is good I really want to get out to check it out.so many times I looked up on the net for lfs and the pics looked amazing and you get out to it and your pretty much standing in the middle of the lfs thinking what the f happend here that pic must be 10 yrs old

Ness I understand they have to buy in bulk but the thing is they will have half dead fish in the tanks and for me that's a big no no when I go to but fish I have a look at all the fish in the shop one dead or sick fish and I just walk out

I'll see if I can take some photos of our (Auburn Aquarium) guppy stock quickly with my phone. Pretty damn slow here (word must get out that it's disgustingly hot in this shop lol) at the moment so shouldn't be a problem. I'll have to wait until I get home to upload them though.

I will say that there have been some dodgy batches of guppies going around.

Hi yan I was just in your store seen your guppies only reason I didn't buy any was becoz I'm out of tank space I really loved the guppies my girlfriend love the little dewafe guppies I'll be back soon to buy them thanks heaps yan

Hey Yan has anyone ever brought fish in to your store they did not want or could not keep anymore? Im just wondering what the go is with this, do you take them off their hands, if they wanted other fish could they get some credit on the purchase? I guess every lfs is different, do you know your stores policy on it?

We will accept some fish. There are fish we will not touch from people ie GUPPYS. Most other fish we will trade back for store credit at a third of retail value.

Anyway, it seems I've lost the cable to plug my phone into the computer and we just got a shipment of fish in so I'll try to take some proper photos for our facebook page later.

Today is my office work day so I haven't been out to see what came but I know we ordered black moscow guppy pairs, a few of the dwarf guppy species like tricolours, etc. Like our facebook page and I'll update it later with a brief list of what we got today.

ETA Just thought I should also mention it is courtesy to call in beforehand and make sure it's okay to bring in the fish (please know what species they are, approximate size and how many there are), and secondly do not bring them in at 10 minutes 'til closing time. ;) Not saying you would, we are all just very unimpressed when it happens for reasons I'm sure you can all understand lol

Edited by Yan