Fluorite leaching nutrients

Likoma

It seems being new to planted aquarium I have made a faux pas. The planting medium for the glossostigma is made up of Fluorite and nothing else. It has been mentioned to me that over time due to the high levels of exposure, the fluorite will leach nutrients into the water column.

I take it that this could fuel an algae take over. I am thinking of covering the fluorite with fine gravel, trying not to disturb the plants too much. Has anyone had experience with this type of situation. Would the reward to prevent excessive nutrients getting into the water ,out way damaging new plants that are still finding their feet.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Are you talking exposure to fertilisers? If I recall correctly, flourite is an inert clay based substrate. Its benefit is in its high CEC which allows it to take nutrients into the substrate and keep them there for plants to uptake.

I think if you are dosing your fertilisers correctly, there shouldn't be too much excess nutrients leeching back into your tank once the plants have utilised them.