bitaeniatum IJEBU ODE

KillieOrCory

Thanks to Davo letting us know here about this new import, I now have 3 pairs in my tanks.

This is what they look like

IjebuOde.jpg

IjebuOde1.jpg

Quality of the photos are not great as usual but you get the idea.

This is a commonish locality overseas but we have not had this locality of bitaeniatum in Australia before as far as I know. If we did, it must have been here over 20 years ago.

Great fish, works out to be over $80 per pair retail but worth it. I beleive AI still have a few left. You can get your LFS get them in if they get their fish from AI

I'm having a stern word with Justin

Check these guys out!

Chromaphyosemion-bitaeniatum-Ijebu%20Ode

(Chromaphyosemion-bitaeniatum-Ijebu Ode)

I could just give up Betta forever... I want a rainbow psychadelic magic eye-trick fish.

Serkan, consider me down for some eggs... these are amazing.

Edited by melbournebetta

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I got my pair after Adrian at EA very kindly special ordered them in for me. Think the 'female' is a young male but they look so nice who cares? This is the male about 10 minutes after being introduced into his tank following a one hour car trip so a little stressed.

IMG_5914.jpg

Also got a poliaki pair who actually do look like a male and a female. My last pair jumped out so all four have a very snug lid of glad wrap over their tanks!

Haha I don't have the funds to do it really but my mum paid for them as an early birthday present so it wasn't too bad. Adrian also took a few bucks of their price so I was quite happy with that.

My plan is to have a full rack dedicated to wild bettas and a full rack dedicated to killifish. Best of both worlds then.

I love the Chromaphyosemion group. I particularly like the females oddly enough. So sad I lost my lagos pair a while back :((

I wonder if there is a difference in the finnage size of wild caught Vs captive bred specimens. I believe there are a couple of species of pseudomugil who have quite dramatic dorsal extensions when wild-caught, but those subsequent captive bred offspring do not.

Could there be something similar occurring here?

It does seem to be quite a dramatic difference in between the picture and the actual fish, but even though they are the same locality/species (not sure what they call it with killifish) is it possible to have variations in colour and form occur?

Variations do occur.

Also with Chromaphyosemions males raised on their own or the dominant male in a group tank gets the long extensions. All the other males don't. Given these fish would have been raised all together in a tank and have been in wholesale exporter and importers tanks since then it is normal for extensions to be not too long.

Having said that I'd still go with the photos of the West African Killifish site rather than an odd google image.

Also have a look at this Ijebu Ode for sale add from 2011 Ijebu Ode The fish in the photos here are identical to the ones I got.

Edited by KillieOrCory

My males have both coloured right up now and they also look identical to the ones pictured in the AB ad. Mine just have slightly rounder dorsal fins than the ones pictured on the Aka site.

I do have a question though, what temperature do the Ijebu Ode prefer? I was reading that page you linked to Serkan, and it seems to be pretty high at 28-30 degrees. Will they still be healthy/spawn if kept at say 24-25 degrees?

Mine seem to be very happy in their little temporary home. I added a handful of peat moss to the bottom of their tank to give them something to do, and both them and my poliaki pair spent all afternoon and evening poking around chasing blackworms *lol* (meant to add they are divided and unable to get in with each other)

Got the killie bug again really bad! Would love if Chromaphyosemion splendopleure was available here. So many beautiful species out there that need to be brought into Australia.

Edited by Wild Nut

I try not to keep my killies as high as 28-30C. I find killies live for much longer if you keep them at lower temps. 24-25 is fine, mine are at 22C at the moment and I am collecting eggs.

Poliaki prefer cooler apparently so I wouldn't advise going over 24-25 for those.

splendopleure were beautiful

splendopleure2.jpg

I hope they will get imported again soon.

I certainly hope over time we'll be able to get many more species coming in. The tough thing to do is to make sure we do not loose what we have here already in the meantime.

Thanks for the heads-up. They are sharing a divided tank at the moment and it's around 24 degrees so just wanted to make sure.

I was so hoping we had won part of that Oz Lotto 100 million. Then I was going to start importing all my favourite species of killifish *lol*

BTW you don't have any striatum pairs for sale do you? They were one of my favourite killies and I was waiting for AI to get some in so I can replace them.

Edited by Wild Nut

:lol: Don't worry if I had won, I would be doing the same!

The last batch of striatum I raised were mostly males so now I have about 15-20 3 to 4cm males. Have three girls only unfortunately. I am trying to breed some more currently and moved them to a larger tank, so far they are not happy with me no eggs yet! :blush: Luckily I had collected a few eggs before I moved them.

Darn skewed sex ratios! :lol: Hopefully they settle and start spawning for you.

I've seen my both my males (ijebu and poliaki) darting in with the females through their java moss. I have to go buy some yarn to make some mops and then I will start seriously conditioning them and getting things set up.

I've always wondered how do you keep the genetic diversity of a population high when they are a limited import and there are only a few specimens in the country? I assume this is why previously imported species seem to disappear from the hobby here in Australia after a while.

I just imagine all the killifish you could have purchased with that amount of money. Maybe there is a God of fish I can go pray to haha. Still trying to slowly build back my killifish numbers. Already have three species again and hoping to add back a group of Pseudepiplatys annulatus in the next week or so.