Brichardi setup.

Fletch

Set one of the new 2 footers I got. Decided on these guys fur to them being such great parents and apparently easy to breed.

Bought two from a LFS, long story but I got nice fish and 3 online. Of the 3 I bought one is a gonner do that will leave four. Should get one pair. Already interesting behaviour between 3 of the biggest.

6069D724-397B-46ED-8353-50D71BE18F10-187

E0585357-8438-4F40-8537-FA8C006FF057-187

Fake rocks. Lol. Much safer for the fish. Had a $50 price tag on each and got both for $40. Was quite happy with that.

Biggest issue with cichlids is aggression, especially in a small tank. From my understanding, this will go two ways,

1. Male forms a harem and breeds with numerous girls. This could be a disaster as he won't be allowed to raise the fry of either and the girls would kill him defending their fry.

2. Two fish pair off, start to set up area to spawn then kill other two. From this point on they should breed regularly and have multiple spawns of various ages living happily in the one tank.

That's the dream anyway. Will see what happens. :-)

I thought the general rule is 6+ fish for a colony especially for more aggressive fish? although the tank is 2ft add more plants hiding places and you be right but will need bigger tank once breeding and you get fry. I use to breed cichlids too, was thinking of getting some again, much less work than bettas.

I thought you were getting shellies?

After researching I settled on these as because of easy care with fry. These guys are very social until breeding. In this size tank I will be ok with one breeding pair. Once there is lots of fry the parents stop spawning or only spawn low numbers. By this time I can either sell to local shops or set another tank up to raise them.

Got friends with a pet Oscar, always looking for feeders. Lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty sure these guys are spawning ATM. Very interesting to watch. They are doing it in a tiny gap under a rock overhang.

Three weeks of live bbs and blackworms was the key I think. :-). Very excited. Going to be hard to resist the urge to remove female after spawning. She looks after the eggs so I must resist. Lol.

Definitely eggs.

Nice choice of fish .... this is the pair I had.... the male (larger one) killed off two of his competitors.... then they spawned.... raised some fry... then he killed his wife..... beautiful fish but can be unpredictable.... (typical cichlid)...... only had them in a 2x15x15 tank ... going to try them again some day in my sumped system with 3x18x18 tanks where my shellies are....

Hope yours do the right thing and get the step breeding going ..... might need a larger tank for that though....

DSCN2783a.JPG

Thanks. Been many years since I have spawned fish other than Betta (approx 20+). Never really tried, just fish that spawned in community tanks.

I seem to have caught the breeding bug. Once I have enough fry from these guys I will get rid of the pair and raise the fry.

My next pair of fish will be a little more difficult. Then keep repeating the process. Eventually I would like a 6ft tank with Frontosia.

Anyway, step one. Lol.

2B7886ED-B177-436E-AC8B-41D3E8DEC227-529

83DC3244-D39F-4455-BC65-BA80FAF46B47-529

This is only one group of them. There is also a smaller bunch still in the pit below this ledge.

• 2 weeks later...