would you keep shrimp in a community tank  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep shrimp in a community tank

• Yes
    • No
    • Only with certain types of fish
    • Only with certain types of shrimp
    • both shrimp and fish need to be selected carefully

as long as you don't expect them to breed and their number may slowly decline it's all good! I have cherry shrimps in my large 4ft community tank by accident (moving plants and the shrimps hitch hiked on one or more occasions) the bigger ones grow to a good size and stay that way and they're sometimes berried. There's no new shrimps coz as soon as it's born it's basically fish food I've actually seen my fish chasing down a baby shrimp and eaten it within 5 seconds.

no matter how much hiding places you give it most fish are diligent hunters will keep hunting for shrimps that will fit into their mouth.

it's like keeping blackworms in the same tank as fish... you might get some survive that's hiding in the gravel but not many

I will provide plenty of nooks and crannies for them to hide in, its almost certain that I will want fish that are going to prey on them in the tank though im sure. Things like torpedo barbs, australian rainbows, angel fish probably should not be in the same tank but yeah im not worried so much about breeding them so survival of the fittest if I do experiment with the idea

See this is where personally experiences can be different. There is another post I read on here today that because they had no where to put the 2 new betta's they bought they had to put them in the shrimp tank and had the shrimp colony go from 200 to 20. Just goes to show what works in one tank does not mean it is the rule. I am glad to hear that though somchai, tells me it is possible given the right circumstances.

Edited by 6ftaquaman

• 3 weeks later...