Rooibos

les

On the Aust Killi site Keith had sudjested the use of Rooibos tea as an alternative to methylene. As he is extreemly knowledgable about Killiand I thought I would give it a go. I did find it hard to get the tea at first but I managed to get some of the tea bags from the South African shop. I have put Gold Gularis, P82 and Sjoistedti in the tea and the same in methylene. All the containers are kept under the same conditions so I can compare the difference if there is any. I will update when I have my findings.

Cheers

Les

Edited by les

Methylene Blue is used to treat a variety of ailments in fish, mainly fungal infections. It's the main active ingredient in most multicure medications and is what stains the water blue. In the case of hatching Killifish eggs (and when hatching betta eggs without the father to move them around), it will prevent the eggs from getting fungus.

Rooibos tea is made from the plant: Aspalathus linearis, it is a type of legume. I imagine it also has the same anti-fungal effect...

Hey Les, no problem finding it here - it is in every supermarket near all the herbal teas :D

Edited by shadoh

Hi Jarrod / Chi

It took me a bit to find it as I tend to avoid the larger supermarkets and shop at the IGA. The Methylen blue is mixed with water and put into containers. When the Killi eggs are picked from the mops they are put into the containers containing the Methylen blue solution. This process helps stop some of the eggs from fungusing (I dont know if that is a word but you know what I mean). The Rooibos is ment to act as an anti fungle agent and so that is why I am seeing if I can get as good results from it as I do from M/B. It would be great to have a natural product to use instead of chemicals.

Cheers

Les