A. Sjoestedti USA Blue

les

Well I have loved the look of these fish even before I got my first Killis but never thought I would have a chance in hell of getting any but after tonight I am the proud owner of two pairs.

The blue is so intense but is not showing up in the pics

hear is the only male who like the camera I think he could stand the flash for hours

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

And one of the girls she isnt to shy ether

IMG_0950.jpg

The first thing the boys did on release was check out the tank and the girls went straight to the bottom after the blackworms. Both pairs have a bit of filling out to do but Blackworms, Grindels and newly born guppies are on the menu in an all you can eat buffet. These guys are even more up front than my Deltaense. there tank is right next to my extraverted brownorium and they are all checking each other out rather funny to watch till the wife said I had been out there long enough LOL ( Allways in the poo its only the depth that varies )

Cheers

Les

Hi Les

Your girl looks like a young boy?

I didn't think girls had any colour in the body or tail?

they look like a female guppy with a few spangles on the body

Just commenting so you have time to swap for a female

or get 2 more females and have 3 pair!

Edited by Rod

Les they look great! :applaud: Wish you super luck with them, hope you breed bucket loads of them.

As Rod said the fish in the third photo is a boy as well. Sjoestedti girls look like a giant chunky gardneri females. No noticable colour or patterns on the body and the fins are clear compared to the male with a few red/maroon spots.

Hey Rod and Serkan

When I first looked at them the two young males didnt have any colour at all only the older boy in the first pick. I was so excited and it was late I didnt realy look at the pic but thanks for pointing it out to me. I got onto Ken today and he is checking out where my other girl is I think Jilani has got him but thats ok as it will be easy to recover. I jave put the girl in with the least mature male so she dosnt get to bashed up. I did want to put one male with two females as I read on the net that that was the best ratio, It was a very old artical but I do trust the old ones for some reason. LOL

Cheers

Les

Thanks guys

Ok so I have another girl to pick up from my mate ken. I have looked at the mops and found two eggs already but havent harvested I will wait till tomorow for that. The tank that these fish are in are my Betta spawning tanks. They can be devided with a glass partition that goes all the way to the top. My plan is to alow them to breed for a week then give them a rest with the partition in place then release again after a weeks rest.

My reason for doing this is that My mate Ken had two girls and the boys where so rough that the girls died. I have scoured the internet for diferent matting methods and one was to put one male with two females (That was my first plan) but on further resurch i found another method where limited time is given then the female rested then back into it. So the second method is what I will try first one pair will be mop and the other pair will be peat. This should increas my chancess of building the population to get more breeding stock.

Cheers

Les

That sounds great Les, a good plan.

Another thing to try would be to pick the eggs off the mop and water incubate them in Rooibos tea, like Keith suggested. I have collected eggs of the mop and incubated them over peat in the past, but the tea might work out the same way.

Hi Serkan

I went out today looking for Rooibos but couldnt find any at the IGA. I will have another look tomorow at Coles and Woolies as they might have it.

I picked 17 eggs of the mop last night and they are in the methylene blue so the next lot of eggs I pick I would like to go into the Rooibos tea. and then see the difference.

I think my plan of a week before seperation might be to long for the girl as she is looking decidedly thiner this afternoon so playing it by ear I will drop the partition tomorow morning and check the mops for more eggs then let her plump up and release again.

The mature male in the first pick has claimed his teretory in the Betta serority tank. The other youg male just follows a female giant around. I think he likes his girls Betta proportiond :giggle: I have never had cross species admiration in my tanks before.

Cheers

Les

I have seperated the first female from the male as she only produced two eggs today and is looking tired. I have put the new girl in that side of the tank with her and I am feeding them as many black and grindel worms as they can eat, There colour has changed from pale to dark so that is a good sign and they are both swelling a bit. I still havent found the Rooibos tea but will resume looking for it tomorow. as I think it will be worth it as Keith has recomended it.

Cheers

Les

LOL.

This is a bit of a slow process. I only alow the girls in with one male when they have swelled up a bit which takes about three to four days. They are thin by the second day in and have no eggs left so I seperate them again and go through the whole process again. The males seem to be prity hard on the girls and they look so thin after laying just a few eggs but the eggs are big so I gues thats why.

All the eggs I put into the Rooisbos fungused so I will only be placing in M/B from hear on in.

IF I am succesfull enough to get a few more pairs breeding then I will more than gladly send them out to the other Killi groups

Cheers

Les

Eggs picked on the 16-17 Aug have started to hatch and there are more tails wrigling out of eggs. They are very dark looking fry and wider than I had expected. I am so excited it is better than the Bullmastiffe I am baby sitting at the moment.

I am getting some Bundy and celebrating for this.:cheer:( is there not a more masculine cheer leader we could use) " we are cheering, we we are cheering"

Cheers

Les