A mossy tree question

Hi,

So I'm totaly new to this & trying to plan out how to pimp up my aquatopia 30 L tank & offcourse I found those awesome aquascape shoots of the underwater bonsai tree so like to use them for inspiration.

I love the idea of a tree in the tank so went on the glorious eBay & found one in some plastic or resin material imitating a pine tree with very handy platforms at the end of the branches with nets to attch the moss under. I thought this sounded very good & easy so I bought it but now I'm wondering if java moss or any other moss actually will be able to grow there since its plastic? If not should I try to find some wood bits to anchor in between perhaps?

Does anyone have any experience about moss growing this way on artificial decor?

I'm also wondering if its unrecomended to just find a bit of suitable wood in the nature & in that case how to treat it before the tank?

I'm only going to have one betta in the tank & I thought the mossy tree & perhaps an anubias or a ambulia, would these be easily contained in one bunch & are they suitable for this size tank?

Is sand or gravel the best option for this?

So many questions but if anyone with more experience could give me some clues I greatly appreciate it :confused:

Ps. Yes I'm going to have a heater, low stam filter & check the water & treat the water before the betta goes in :lol:

Cheers!

What does this plastic tree look like? The java moss won't be able to stick to it in the same way as wood but it should stick a little bit and if there is netting to hold it down that should be fine. You can use wood you find. Try to use hardwoods. They last longer.

Hey Kitz,

Some plants need roots to be planted in aquarium soil or anchored in gravel - personally I don't bother, I can't keep up with water changes and gravel, any plants I have that want potting have their own little bowl with gravel and appropriate soils that I can work around but I'm a bare bottom tank fan.

Bubbles

They way you're describing the tree, sounds like there's netting for the java to sit underneath, it really just wants an anchor or something to hold it down, it won't need anything to cling to to survite - just nutrients from the water and suitable lighting to promote growth.

Just make sure the netting isn't too loose as betta are crafty little buggers and love getting caught in things - if they can't get to the surface cos they're stuck, they drown.

(:

Oh dear,I definently do not want to drown my betta! The netting is pretty tight already actually but I might just sew it underneath so it gets extra extra tight.

I tried to upload a pic using flicker but didn't want to work so guessing I be getting a photobucket account..

It's dawning on me that no body really seems to like the idea of using gravel in their tank, I'm under the impression that sand is worse to keep clean?

Thanks for the guidance guys :lol:

As Ness said be so careful with the netting! I used a hairnet to tie some java moss to a rock, it was reasonably tight but obviously not tight enough. My little guy got so tangled in there I had to take out the rock and carefully cut him out. It was all wrapped around his fins and eye and gills. It was a nightmare. Lucky I noticed him when I did or he would have been a goner!