**BETTA AUSTRALIS SEPTEMBER BETTA SHOW**

shadoh

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some info from Victoria

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=2985

We are going to set up one of the original stands with 2 x 2L and 4L glass tanks for the wild pairs.

Small, agressive pairs like smaragdina can be housed in 2 x 2L, whereas compatible pairs like channoides can be housed in a 4L tank.

Big, mouthbrooding pairs can be housed in 2 x 4L tanks.

Tanks will have floating ketapang leaves and floating plants to keep the fish comfortable.

Please let the Show Chair, ie me, know ASAP if you intend to enter wilds so we can arrange enough tanks.

It is common in Area 6 for competitors to purchase fish for shows.

The show scene in Area 6 is quite different to that of Area 1.

(let's face it how many people who show horses, dogs, cats etc have actually bred that animal?)

Realistically though, we really need to get a the local scene up and running.

Betta clubs cannot rely on overseas competitors.

The logistics of importing stock for a show is, quite frankly, horrendous.

Cheers, someone

Just recieved final numbers for the international entries... A little more than we were expecting - 200! This is going to be HUGE :D

I have to admit that I am now slightly anxious about the logistics of benching in... :eek:

We will need plenty of Valium. :byebye:

Great now all we need is another 100 local and it will rival the First International Betta show we had back in 2005.

We WILL need as many helpers as possible on Friday night to bench these baby's in so if you are available let Jarrod know.

Graeme.

Thanks Graeme. As I said to someone earlier, I'll try to put the breakdown on hold until after the show. If you don't see me after that, you'll know what has happened *lol*

Not only to set up - we will need people to help pack up too...

So - Benching in will be Friday 7th between 5.00pm and 10.00pm

Bench out time 1.00pm and 4.00pm Sunday 9th. Any help people could provide will be most appreciated.

PS: You still have until Wednesday 5th to get your entries in :D

Continuing with the creative side of things tonight. Have made surrounds to go on the beanies of the winners of each division:

D29D95A5-2D10-4A47-A082-D83F540ACF96-317

E054D296-17DD-4E36-B252-31E81647176D-317

*lol* Somehow it looks like packaging... Guess the advertising and branding side of my brain has taken over... Now I just have to drop a few well placed subliminal messages and everone who walks into the show will feel the need to get into the hobby! Oh, and yes, I have made a third place surround (yellow) as well as Best of Show and Reserve Best of Show (purple and green respectively)

Printed out some id tags for the crew:

C25B2E0C-BC63-4A88-8E22-035BBC3AB53B-317

4D0A4477-C1AA-40C4-A096-9AF12D5D1110-317

Now to come up with a great design for the certificates... <_<

It's starting to feel real now... I can't believe this is finally happening. :D

If you are thinking of entering, you have until Wednesday to get your entry forms in. If you want to see a room full of AMAZING bettas in one spot, make sure you come along for a look!

www.bettaaustralis.com

Cheers

Jarrod

And as for the comments that you should breed your own and only show the ones you have breed.

I find that kind of thinking very disturbing and even a little insulting.

Showing fish is not now and never has been about you the breeder or you the owner. Showing fish is about getting other people that are not involved in the hobby interested in joining the hobby. This is done by putting on the best possible display and having knowledgeable people talk to the public about the hobby.

If showing fish was just about you the breeder or you the owner then fish shows would be dead and gone years ago. Anyone who enters fish in a show with the attitude that they will win big prizes or get heaps of praise for having a winning fish, is showing for the totally wrong reason. It is amazing that some people do that, but they don’t last long in the show scene.

Graeme.

Have you been to the competitions in Asia? Breeders show their own fish and have been for a very very long time (generations)and I don't see it dying anytime soon like you say. I bet a lot of the asian entrants from overseas are from their own spawns as well. I have been to the competitions in Vietnam and breeders houses, they proudly show their wins and cups/certficates.

I'm just expressing my opinions, not to insult anyone...

Chi, I just started to type out another long response to your comment, but frankly, it is late I'm tired and nothing I say is going to change your opinion. The Aussie and Asian show/breeding communities are 2 different beasts. As you pointed out, more people in Asia are breeding their fish and have done so for generations. Compare that to Australia, where there are very little people breeding betta and a large percentage who do, burn themselves out after 12 months and move on to other fish. Asia has had a Betta show scene for MANY years and as you may have read above, Australia has not and has found it difficult to keep it going.

I personally am not insulted by what you're saying - I do see your point, but we need to inspire more people to discover the beauty of the betta and get more people breeding them. Shows such as this are a great showcase for that. Just read a handful of posts in the introductions section - a lot of people out there have never seen a Halfmoon or Halfmoon Plakat. We need to educate the public.

Chi

As the discussion was about the Show scene in Australia, I probably should have prefixed my comments with the words "In Australia".

Sorry I thought it was understood.

Jarrod those surround and tags look great. :love:

Can't wait to see what you come up with for certificates. :woohoo:

Graeme :fish:

Edited by xysti53

Oh my god guys, you've done an incredible job - Jarrod those surrounds for the placed fish are really clever, I really like that idea - packaging brain = brilliant!

If I am able to get up there I'll have to make my own VIP tag! TEE HEE

Will you be selling many of the fish that come in? How will all of that work?

I have to admit, it's a bit of an incentive to get up there, if there's a whole bunch of new bloodlines in the country!

It's been a great discussion - I have to commend this forum's overall temperament again - I appreciate that we can all share an idea or opinion and have it discussed with some diplomacy - some of those other betta forums out there (international) are full of egos, and every thread seems to spin off into firey name-calling (boring) .....and really great to get a summary of the show scene from Graeme, thanks for that, I didn't know much of it!

I guess we're all busting a gut to get the scene up and share with people how fantastic these fish are - I guess that's the joy and responsibility when you are so passionate about something, Betta Australis get a standing ovation from me, while I'm at work, alone, in the shop, clapping....

Ehhem...

Time to check my roster and look into flights methinketh... dus anyone need a mural done in QLD ...?

(;

I have just got off the phone with a gentleman who found my number on the club website. He used to breed Bettas and is looking at starting up again now he has retired. He has been going from LFS to LFS to no avail, hoping that one of them could put him in touch with a network of local breeders not only to get fish from, but to talk with and share info and experiences with. He is quite excited to come along to the show and look at some amazing Bettas and to meet some local breeders....

Why am I telling you all this? That's what this show (and club) is all about - getting people like this together and, in this mans case - back into the hobby. For all the hard work and the bitching and moaning I have been doing lately, it will all be worth it to know that it has brought new people into the Betta community and especially if we can get a few more people breeding Bettas.

Thanks Graeme and Ness. Ness, I hope you can make it up here (will have a personalized tag waiting just in case). If not, then at least we know you and the Melbourne crew will be with us in spirit. Wish I had the equipment and know how to do a live feed, but will make sure plenty of photos will be taken.

Three words:

Delegate, Delegate, Delegate.

Like I said to someone - if you're good at giving instructions, you can get just about anything done!

(and nobody is going to shy away from jobs, I'll have my hand up if I can get there on friday)

Accommodation is the big sting, do you guys have any idea if there's anything cheap around Caboolture? I'd even go a hostel!

x

Hey Ness, forgot to address a couple of things - with the sale of the overseas fish, yes 99% of them will be for sale. Due to complications I won't go into publicly, we cannot sell out of the building on the day. You will be, however list down the ones you want to buy (we will put a discreet sticker on the beanie to indicate to the stewards that the fish is sold) and you can organize payment and shipping with someone.

As for the care template, I was going to try and find the time to revamp our one, but realistically any help will give me an extra hour or 2 of much needed sleep between now and next weekend, so please send me the template (as long as you don't mind me adding a club logo and contact details - I will give you credit for the info though...) really appreciate it!

Thanks Ness, much appreciated. Certs are designed, just need to print them out. Everything else is "hands on" - making prize ribbons, cutting and laminating divider cards, laminating beanie surrounds, painting sign, packaging gift packs from sponsor...

Chi, I just started to type out another long response to your comment, but frankly, it is late I'm tired and nothing I say is going to change your opinion. The Aussie and Asian show/breeding communities are 2 different beasts. As you pointed out, more people in Asia are breeding their fish and have done so for generations. Compare that to Australia, where there are very little people breeding betta and a large percentage who do, burn themselves out after 12 months and move on to other fish. Asia has had a Betta show scene for MANY years and as you may have read above, Australia has not and has found it difficult to keep it going.

I personally am not insulted by what you're saying - I do see your point, but we need to inspire more people to discover the beauty of the betta and get more people breeding them. Shows such as this are a great showcase for that. Just read a handful of posts in the introductions section - a lot of people out there have never seen a Halfmoon or Halfmoon Plakat. We need to educate the public.

I understand everything you have said and that there hasn't been a scene in Australia for long but like in Asia they had to start somewhere correct at some point in time...So if they can do it why can't we? Even if there are a small percentage of breeders and a lot are burnt out after 12 months, there will be a new lot of breeders to take their place and carry on with the breeding of the fish and we will still be showing the betta, so I don't see your point about the show having to be with bought fish to inspire people. I agree with a lot of what you have said but the point I am trying to get across is that I would feel awkward going in a competition with something purchased, to ME it is like going into an art competition with a painting I purchased (for example), again this is just my opinion, so please do not take to heart. This will be my last post on this matter, I promise! Sorry Jarrod...

Edited by Chi