COPYRIGHT AND BANDWIDTH THEFT

Callatya

Just as a reminder, as I'm sure most of you are aware if the laws and manners required for things to stay hunky dory online :)

If you did not take a photograph or pay for the rights to post a photograph, or have written permission to use a photograph YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO POST THE PHOTOGRAPH.

If you do not own a website, or have not signed up for a licence to link photos from a website you do not own, DO NOT DIRECT LINK IMAGES FROM THAT SITE.

Forum membership does not give you the right to use the intellectual property of other forum members without permission.

Club membership does not give you the right to use the intellectual property of other club members without permission.

Giving credit does not automatically give you permission to use the image.

I am getting very very tired of having to check the origin of every image thats posted, so please please please, for my sanity if nothing else, cut it out!

If you want to show us a photograph that someone else has taken, provide a text link to that image page within your thread. We are all capable of clicking :)

Fair is fair guys :)

Or by asking prior permission of the owner of the images as some of our members have done recently :) But please in these cases host the image yourself to avoid bandwidth theft and also provide them a link to where you posted their images so they are able to check where it is posted and in what context. They should have the ability to respond to any posts regarding their photos should they wish. Bandwidth theft and copywrite issues can get people in hot water, so lets observe the niceties of nettiquite.

and also provide them a link to where you posted their images so they are able to check where it is posted and in what context. They should have the ability to respond to any posts regarding their photos should they wish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But what if they don't have an Ausaqua membership? Can they still view and reply to the topic?

So, if written permission has been made by the original owner of an image, then its ok to use it?

As Mouse stated above this is fine, but :

But please in these cases host the image yourself to avoid bandwidth theft and also provide them a link to where you posted their images so they are able to check where it is posted and in what context. They should have the ability to respond to any posts regarding their photos should they wish.

It may help you to re-read the AusAqua rules if you are still in any doubt about our expectations.

So, if written permission has been made by the original owner of an image, then its ok to use it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From my understanding that is what the legallities of the situation call for. I guess its to cover the 'proof' thing should it be called into dispute. I know a lot of sites expressly request you get written permission from them before using any of their images etc. Personally I am happy with verbal permission. Permission is permission.

• 5 years later...

I haven't had a lot of time to spend here lately but have recently noticed a few photos being posted that appear not to have been taken by the poster, without an acknowledgement of the photo being used with permission. I haven't had time to investigate every individual image so when posting someone else's image, if you could please post that the photo is used with permission (if it is) or provide a link instead (if you don't have permission) I would be obliged!

Thank you! :bighug: