Aphyosemion Gardneri P82

les

Hey Razzi

My Mate Ken does he has a tank full of P82 and all are breeding size and dont get me started on the raindows there are so many varieties and the numbers WOW

Cheers

Les

PS I wont keep them all and most new fry now are being feed for the gold panchax

• 3 weeks later...

OK so This was my other resone for keeping so many fry.

I was hopping to find some sports in amongst them and have a play with there genetics. so if I have found one of the males to have his dots so close together that it looks like he has vertical bars ( a bit like striatum but vertical) do you think I caould get this to breed true? and should I go the sib matting and then breed daughter back to father then see what comes? just tring to think of a stratagyie thats all.

Cheers

Les

I haven't seen a great deal on killie colour genetics. Generally the killie hobbyists try to maintain the wild form. So in the absence of a more scientific approach then definitely try the selective line breeding method. It will be interesting to see if you can develop your own strain.

Hi Les,

How big is the male? I find the larger the fish more the spots separate.

It would be interesting if you played around with it. You could have it called 'P82 Tiger'. Though I would keep all the ones you produce from your selective breeding separate from the other P82's so that not to effect P82 population genetics in Australia.

You should still be able to give away the undesirable (for breeding the next lot point of view) progeny you produce by calling them Aquarium Strain until you are happy with your P82 Tigers B-)

I have a male Makurdi that looks like this

IMG_2327-1.jpg

He had a solid thick red line when he was a bit younger. Larger he gets more the spots separate. His spots on the other side are more random as well.

Thanks Razzi and Serkan

He is still small but I have him in a tank with five other males so he dosnt stress to much and there are mops in the tank for coverage but I am just going to grow him out and see how his spots develop. I allready have next years breeders seperated in to pairs. My criteria for picking next years breeders was fast growth large size and britest couler in the males, the famale where the same but not looking for couler they are on grindels in the morning and black worms at night same as the Striatum and Gold Panchax. I supose we all selectivly breed our fish in one way or another, even if it is "They are the only pair someone has" I feel with me picking size and fast maturing that is a form of selection. and who ever developed the Gold Panchax what a great job they did. I also was hoping that putting such a large number under observation might give me and insight into the variations that do ocure naturaly and then see what options there are to develop them. I will do the same with the striatum but along with fast development, size and brightness of couler I would also add in to the criteria that only the straightest lines where picked to breed with. I supose it might seem prity anal but it gives a goal to aim for

Cheers

Les

Hey Razzi

I was talking with the president of ASWA tonight and he said that each fish markings is like a thumb print and no two are alike ( a bit like Zebra ) so it would be very hard to get then to set a patern, he also said that this is related to why they arnt as suseptable to inbreeding as some other fish are.

Cheers

Les

The stripes turned into spots so all the males went to the shop. The girls I will save for an Oscar I have my eye on. next lot of fry are in the grow out, about sixty but they wont have the heat on so that should slow growth down a little.

Cheers

Les

• 1 month later...

Looks as if they are really going off for you les, good job! I have said it before and will say it again you are a real asset to the fish keeping hobby and hobbyists, always eager to help others and ask for nothing in return. Your killies are looking great!