Aphyosemion Gardneri P82

les

OK so it has taken me a while to get pics of these Killie as the dont stay still very long I thought guppies where fast but Killies are like so much faster

This is the dominent male of the two pairs

IMG_0386.jpg

And this is him with his not to slime lady

IMG_0375.jpg

The other pair are a lot more timid and dont stay where they can be seen when I get close to the tank but these two are a bit more outgoing

Cheers

Les

@ Jarrod

As soon as there are eggs you can have some Jarrod. The Uni-Berg are just as nice just a slightly difrent patern

@ Matt

I have four different types now. One of my Uni-Berg fry just hatched but the African lamp fish (Aplocheilichthys) and the Amietti are still developing

I have to keep the Ammietti, P82s and Uni-Berg seperate as they all belong to Aphyosemion and the females are to hard to distinguish but thats all part of the fun.

Cheers

Les

I am not to sure where my african Lamp Eyes come from ( besides Africa ). I will colect as many as posible so that they are not lost in this state, more likr a maitenance type of set up. I like the idea that ther is no genetics that i have to figer out just keep strains pure.

Cheers

Les

@les

Awesome photos, they look great! Now get on with breeding them! :D

Lampeyes in Africa have wide distribution. Depending on the origins of the fish it could be any species. The Lake Tanganyikan one is a huge fish! Good luck with the lampeyes les, hope you raise and breed a ton. A great fish to have in a decent size group.

Try not to keep, Udi Berge and P82 in adjacent tanks. If a female jump from one tank to the other you wouldn't be able to tell it apart. If you ever accidentally mix your eggs together call the resulting fry Aquarium Strain. Even though with the P82 and Udi you'll be able to tell the males apart females are impossible.

@betta_hobbyist

IMHO killifish are one of the easiest fish to keep.

@ Serkan

Yes I have the tanks way apart for that reason. Ken gave me a run down on that so it was my first priority

The lamp eyes I have are like a steel grey couler wand are a small fish but the neon over the eye is huge and so are there eggs

@ Betta Hobbyist

Only starting out with Killie, but have found the P82 to be very flighty but on going to Kens place he has so many and the diferent types and each have diferent nature and difrent requirements, some are great for beginers and some for the more experianced. so I think you could find a type of Killie suited to you at any stage of experiance you are at.

Cheers

Les

I was talking with Ken yesterday ( the guy who gave me these Killie and a lot of eggs) and he said to try the mops on the floor of tha tank he also said to check the mops first thing in the morning and fequently during the day, well I thought that if I was going to change the location to the floor id better give it a hover while I was at it, then I thought a water change might be nice well I reduced the water in the tank by half and realised I didnt have any to go back in so I put the mops back in and gave them a feed of grindels and put a towel over the tank.

This morning on checking the mops I was rewarded with twenty six eggs and two girls not looking as bouted as they had for the last few days. so that puts my egg colection numbers up by quite a few

Thanks Ken

Cheers

Les

As I am watching your Killie threads with growing interest mate, I have a few questions.

1. Photo please of breeding mop. What's it made of, how you make it ect..

2. How you harvest eggs and how you store them.

3. Should you store you eggs untill you have, say, 20 then hatch all together?

That would be great to start. Considering these guys in the near future. :-)

Edited by Busman

Hi Paul

Mops are made from sythetic wool, dont use natural wool as it rots

The mop is made by

1. Wynd the wool around a book longways about therty times.

2. Take a longer piece of wool and run it under the wool and tie it of

3. Cut the wool at the oposite end to which you tied it ( this should give you a long piece of wool atached to what looks like a mop, this is your spawning mop )

The mops are placed in the tank ether laying on the bottom or dangling in the water they can be atached to peices of polystyrine or dangled from the edge of the tank

How to harvest the eggs

1. Remove mop from water and give it a light squeeze.

2. look carfully through mop a bit at a time ( you will figer out your owen method ) and you will fing eggs they look like water drops, lightly pick of with thum and four finger and place in a take away container that has water and a few drops of methylene blue in it. Make sure you put the name of the killie type on the lid and the date you collected them I was told I could put three or four days worth in the one container

To Hatch the eggs ( Skip step one if collecting your own )

1. Place eggs in a container with a few drops of Methylene Blue ( write name of type of Killie and date collected )

2. Place container on top of aquarium or flooting in an aquarium ( Bain Marie this is how I have done it )

3. Check eggs each day for hatched fry and remove them to another take away container that has been filled with the same water as the container with the eggs in. ( this can be done by using a large serynge )

From hear on in as the fry grow upgrade your container they can be feed VE, BBS, MW, and aventualy grindels and black worms or pellets.

I hope this helps Paul

and any one out there who can explain it better please feel free oto correct me or add to

Cheers

les

• 2 weeks later...

These guys are giving me forty plus eggs each day. I find it so cathartic picking the eggs of the mops and not having to worry if dad will eat any. Big day out today (Funeral) but when I got home a real spirit lifting with my first lot of eggs from these guys hatching, just brings ya back to how periniel life realy is.

Cheers

les

Your not wrong MT.

I spent three hours in a friends fish room today he has some of the best killies ever:drool:, but I left with two pairs of rainbows LOL I swore I wouldnt get any but hey it just happend:giggle:

Cheers

Les

• 1 month later...

So I thought I would put up some pics of how some of the fry are doing. There are about eighty fry in this tank and I have another with about fifty in it

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

I cant wait to pick out wich ones will be next years breeders I was thinking about looking for sports and dveloping any that where intresting MMMM

Cheers

les

I know its a lot but I can take them to Aquarium Society of Western Australia ( ASWA) meets so other people can give them a go. I have been using some of the fry I have been raising to feed the Gold Panchax but I have an outlet for the males once they couler up and the females that I dont use for breeding will be culled. I have the space so its not much more effort to grow out 130 fish than twenty and there is a supply hear if any one is intrested

Cheers

les