I'm in love....... with a catfish!

fishbites

I've just fallen in love with Corydoras duplicareus!!!

My LFS ordered them in for me and they arrived today - just made it to the shop before closing to pick them up in the bag - got charged very little markup too - they looked good through the bag but after seeing them in the tank..... WOW! That orange mark between their eye and the dorsal fin is amazingly bright! These are the most brilliant little corys I have ever owned..... I think someone has some on her latest list too....

There are quite a few species similar - imitator has a long nose and paler colours, adolfi is brilliant but the black stripe on the back is thinner, and then there's burgessi but its black stripe is shorter (about the length of the dorsal).

In my opinion, duplicareus is the most brilliant of the four.... or dare I say of all the corys!!!

Just wanted to share these little gems with everyone....

Edited by fishbites

Great fish! I do not have those yet! :drool: Is that your tank? The sand substrate is perfect. Well done in getting these.

Buying corydoras can be an expensive exercise, because I always try to but 6 or 8 minimum, it adds up. Sad to say as much as I'd love to get all that is available it is not going to happen.

The ones in the video look breeding size to me.

Serkan

Edited by KillieOrCory

@ Hazell.... when i first read your post I thought you said they "snuffle" - what a great word for the way they go around but then realised it was shuffle!!! They were 'snuffling' round the sandy bottom of the tank almost the instant they floated out of their transport bags.....

@ Busman Paul..... Only reason I can afford them is due to my LFS giving me really great prices on fish I order and pick up still in the transport bags.... I'm pretty sure he didn't put more than 5% markup on these fish for me.....

@Jarrod - someone did have some on her list but I had already ordered mine at the time....

@ Serkan.... groups of corys always work better and I hear what you say about affording them in such groups - I only have 3 species - these guys plus a colony of a dozen sterbai from different bloodlines and a few julii (would love to get more of them some time).... I only have these three because I really like their colours / patterns.... The sand substrate is pool filter sand from the local pool shop - $12 per 15kg bag.... There's a couple that are smaller but yes I am hopeful that the larger ones will sort themselves out soon for me.....

@ Joan.... longfin pandas have really nice flowing tails.... they were available at about 1/3 the price of the duplicareus.....

Other corys on the list from my LFS include C. imitator, C. duplicareus, C. burgessi long nose, C. pygmaeus, C. rabauti, C. schwartzii, C. reticulatus, and a few of the common ones. He gets them from AI.

Ok... out with some pics of them Serkan!!!! Or a fish room tour of your corys......

I must admit they are my favourite catfish but as you know - keeping groups and needing space for 20 species I couldn't provide that much room without getting rid of other fish that I can't part with (unless I fill the shed totally!!!)

I really should buy a camera! I take all my photos with my phone so they end up not so good.

I have a 4 foot cory community tank I use to grow my new purchases out. My assumption is that I need to grow them at least 6 months to get them to breeding size/age.

Of the top of my head I got; atropersonatus, adolfoi, gossei, metae, axelrodi deckeri, panda, arcuatus, venazuelanus 'Black', septentriolanis, trilineatus, sterbai, sterbai albino, paleatus, pygmaeus, habrosus, venezuelanus, punctatus, elegans, B.splendens a few more I am sure. I have melanistius, weitzmani and davidsandsi on the way! I'll try to take some photos later.

Serkan

OK Wayne, so whats wrong with filling the shed? :lol: I love the clip and think snuffeling is a great word for what they are doing. I have never seen this type before. Have any of your other Corys spawnd before?

Cheers

les

@ Serkan - brilliant collection - The idea of growing them all out in a 4ft tank to breeding size is a great idea..... I might even 'borrow' that idea myself!

@ Les .... I've spawned C. julii before but only have 2 adults left at the moment ... have been meaning to get more but them being so common and fairly cheap I just haven't bothered ... spent the $ available to get the sterbai colony of 12 and the 6 duplicareus..... hopefully when these 2 groups grow a little more I will get them into breeding mode.... still need to ad a few more to the duplicareus group from a different source if I can afford it at some stage (and if I can source them)....

Les there's nothing wrong with filling the shed with fish.... except that it already takes a lot of time doing water changes and feeding! :)

Love me some Cories, I've got a shoal of LF Panda Cories in my Discus tank (I had to specifically order them for myself and got the last 8 they had available at the time). I think if/when I do redo this tank I'll be switching over to Sterbai (I have one called Blind Freddy, she got mauled by the Discus at work, they took both her eyes!).

We have a huge range of cories at work and if I could get away with it I'd probably just stand there throwing food at 'em all day as I love watching them sift through the gravel and play around. :D I'll have to mention the Duplicareus next time we're stocking back up on the rarer Cories. I've never really looked at them before but wow!

Hey Serkan.... was just wondering..... are your venezuelanus "black" corys the same as in this thread?

Corydoras sp "black venezuela"

If they are.... I WANT SOME!! that black body with the reddish fins is brilliant!!!!

Yes :cheer: They are it! :D I was after this cory for a few years. I got them from someone a while back. Great cory, mine need to grow a little more before I attempt to breed them.