I think I have cory eggs.

Last weekend was very hot, 35c to 37c days. I noticed the temp in my tank was over 25c, maybe around 26c-ish, so when I did a water change, I unplugged the water heater but I didn't plug it back in.

Melbourne weather being the way it is, the following days were quite cold and a couple of days ago I noticed the temp was right down to 18c so I hurriedly plugged the heater back in.

But when I came home from work, I noticed eggs on the tank wall. I looked it up, are they cory eggs? I read that when the temp drops, the corys will spawn:

6812261415_d3dc05c659.jpg

6811273661_a096927e9b.jpg

6811303853_3ba88c368f.jpg

I include this photo only to show the limelight-stealing show offs the betta girls are:

6811278245_1a207a0cd7.jpg

6811309293_8ffcb0331e.jpg

My question then is, what do I do, and how do I do water changes? I was going to do a water change tonight realised that if I lower the water level, these eggs are going to be above the water line for at least 15 mins.

Edited by SiameseFightingFist

Those are cory eggs alright. Looks like some have been snacked on already. You'll want to razor them off the glass and put them in some sort of breeding trap if you want to raise them. Otherwise the cories will likely come back over the eggs in a while and eat them.

• 1 month later...

ok so all that was a screw up, I didn't know how to scrape them off properly, the other fish ate the others, the ones I did save didn't hatch.

But just last weekend one of the bronze corys spent the entire day laying eggs and I was able to shoo the other fish away as she laid them and save a few of the eggs and place them in a floating hatchery.

This morning before I left for work, I noticed a few little things swimming around! I thought for sure they weren't going to hatch but there they were. I crushed some flakes and put them in the hatchery.

I looked up the net previously that I can feed them a bit of cooked egg yolk, is that right? I don't have any brine shrimp or anything like that.

http://www.ausaqua.net/files/mw001.html

Git ur microworms stat!

once i had the same thing happen, i dont know how the fry survived i feed them crushed up flakes only... for like ages

then gave em away.

alright I panicked last night that the poor little babies were starving so I called the shops and Blackburn Aquarium had microworms in stock so I got some.

First of all:

EWWWWWWWW BLEHHHHHHHHHHH WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH YUUUUCCCCKKKK WRIGGLY LITTLE WORRRRRRRRRRRRMS THE SMELLLLLLLLLLLLLL

ok I needed to get that out of my system.

Do they look like they're eating anything? You're really going to have to figure something out if you want them to survive. Otherwise it might be better to just let the other fish snack on them.

I'm not sure if they're eating anything, they're so small I can't see what they're doing. There seems to be a bit of the flakes left and they're decomposing so I cleaned them out of the hatchery.

They're my first babies though, I went through some effort to save the eggs, I don't want to give up on them and feed them to the other fish.

Micro worms are the easiest to harvest and look after. Seriously, I was amazed how easy they are. :-).

No, my cats are easy to look after. Worms - EWWWWWW BLEHHHHHHHHHH WAAAAAAHHHHHHH

http://www.ausaqua.net/files/mw001.html

Git ur microworms stat!

once i had the same thing happen, i dont know how the fry survived i feed them crushed up flakes only... for like ages

then gave em away.

Thanks Neffy, it was your stat comment that induced the mild panic last night which I suppose is a good thing. Am I supposed to see a flurry of activity when I drop the microworms into the hatchery? They're not really moving much. I know they're still alive because when I nudge them with my tongs, they zip away.

Quite excited by these little babies.

Nah, BBS are easy as pie.

it's only because I'm flexing the BBS muscle at the moment that I am the bbs whisperer

one of them rectangle take away containers, 2cm of water hot or cold whatever, out of the tap.

Add 2 tablespoons of salt, 1 or a bit less of bi carb - it's not rocket surgery

then add eggs, you know, enough - maybe a teaspoon, halfateaspoon full

Shove under aquarium light, float it in a tank, but have it as near as possible to the light

you have shallow water = aeration

you have light = happiness

you have heat = form light

2 days mate you'll have pink little sea monkeyyyyyyyy

First your microworm culture.

Immediately make another one. Use a rectangle takeaway container and crush up 2.5 weetbix. Moisten and grab a spoonful of other culture (full layer of old culture), place this on top of weetbix. Cover in a good amount of yeast. About two weeks and this will be teeming. Repeat again. That way there is no original mixture in your new culture. Weetbix doesn't smell anywhere near as bad. :-).

Bbs.

Best tip here is get GOOD quality eggs. I use coke bottle method. Takes ten minutes to make. I run two at a time and always have bbs ready to feed. Even my tetras eat bbs. :-). If you need a photo, I will take one for you.

Just have a go. I was hesitant about it, never used live food before but its fantastic and cheap. :-)

Ps, my mixture for bbs is

Approx 1ltr water.

I tablespoon of sea salt flakes, stirred in.

Half max of teaspoon of eggs.

No light other than room light (kitchen bench) and no heat (but I live in Brissie).

36 hrs and I have heaps. 48 hrs in winter. I suck them up with a syringe and airline and squirt that, as is, into the tank.

Usually get two feeds per mix. That's feeding two or three tank with various amounts of fish/fry.

I don't bother with aeration if I'm only hatching a small amount of eggs. I make up the brine in 2 ltr bottles using 2 and a half tablespoons of rock salt, half teaspoon bicarb, half teaspoon Epsom salts. Pour 1 cup of brine into a suitable container (eg a cup LOL) and put a pinch of brine shrimp eggs in it. I find warmth is more important than light.