Melaleuca Driftwood?

Hey Ness

I supose my frogy friends (not the french) make it easy for me to know my choice of wood is good by moving in to the soaking drums LOL

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

I dump the water once a week but the frogs stay in there untill I empty all the wood out this lots been in for two weeks now

Cheers

les

Edited by les

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh awesome!!! I want frogs living in barrels in my yard!!

Well after Ness's (Ness'? Nesses?) collecting extravaganza last week I was inspired and went for a road trip over the weekend, among other things to visit my father and steal wood from his property. So I returned home with half a boot full of pieces of melaleuca with a few bits of gum thrown in just as an experiment. I was going to head off down exploring when Dad gleefully pointed out the pile of stuff behind the shed that was old melaleuca that he'd cut down about 12 years ago when building the house, so I raided that and came out with some awesome pieces for what I want.

For reasons that will become clear eventually I was looking for straight pieces for the project I'm about to embark on (though when I say "about" to embark on, it will likely be April before I get to it), nothing too twirly or bendy. I only mention that so that when I get around to taking some photos and putting them up here people don't scratch their heads as to why I collected what would otherwise be boring logs and sticks.

Meanwhile Ness... how are things going with your sticks?

Thats great Adam casurina (sheoak0 is ok for tanks as well and will quite often grow in the same locals as Melaluca. I hope the straight wood works out well for you and cant wait to see pics of the scape iyou make with it

Cheers

Les

Oh this is great we can pool our collective knowledges and pluralize the knowledges so we can know moar and moar.

Please note: I have more codiene and pseudoephedrine in my system than I probably require, however the black plague flu that has struck me down hasn't altered a bit - but my ability to string sensible sentences together has been severely compromised.

STICKS! YeS~! I has them.

Sitting on my front porch until I sieze an oppertune opportunity - i.e. when the housemates aren't home - to have a soaking session in the bath (sticks, not me)

I'm going to pour boiling water over 'em and give the buggers a scrub, then leave overnight to cool (the hot water opens fibers to release tannins - thus the accelerated tea staining blaa blaa)

I'll let them cool down over night and drain - then pop into the tubs outside.

but frogs. after matt's posts about his bloody frogs, now I want some.

stupid victoria and it's not having frogs in suburbia.

i want frogs.

stick plans on Thursday.... photo essay and health ensuing.

Oooh... the KNOWLEDGE and the POWER!!! I can't wait to see what our collective experiences are.

I've found the link to my inspiration that will help to explain my desire for straightness in my pieces of wood. I was going to keep it to myself until I start that actual project, but I'll put it in here as a tempter.

http://www.blueaquarium.org/2011/05/iaplc-2010-ada-contest-2010-world-ranking-no-1-27/

Or for people who are lazy and don't want to click on the link...

ada2010.jpg

I have no idea if I'll be able to pull it off, especially as I'm worried about lighting for the tank I want to do it on, but it will be an experience.

PS. Ness... get betterer!!! :alright:

haha i thought to my self i bet he wants that striaght wood to do a forrest type tank like what i saw on blue aquarium the other week and you do im so psychic cant wait to see your result !! i love the scape in the pic its so magical!

Ah Ness your Dill-eary-Ass through the meds. Put yourself in the bath and have a long soak and forget about the wood until you feel Betta. I hope that is soon but keep the posts up wilst still on meds as they Crack me up.

Hey Adam what moss do you have access to I think Weeping and Flame would be fantastic in a scape like that. I realy like that forrest seen I have one like it in an ADA book I could sit and watch it for hours Im sure.

Cheers

Les

Hey Adam see if you can get a copy of the Jan TFH Magazine, they have pics of 2011International Aquatics Plants Layout Contest with pics of place getters 2nd and 3rd are forrest scapes that could lend insperation 1st place wouldnt be out of p[lace as a scene from Avatar. I am not sure if you can view it from there web site www.tfhmagazine.com you might be able to

Cheers

Les

Yes Yes they are the ones prity impresive they recon couse last years winner was forrest that there where a lot this year. That Russian bloke did an awsome job with his forrest do you think it was cork he used as if it is that would hve taken forever. ccant wait to see what you come up with

Cheers

Les

I was looking through some scaping books and you can use cork. There should be some cork trees growing in NSW they belong to the Oak tree family if you ask at the botanical gardens if they have any records of trees planted any where once on talking terms and a few visits ask for some bark to be cut it dosnt harm the tree and is a commen practice for the attainment of cork for bottles. I know we have cork oaks over hear in Perth through that means and I got my Katapang trees through contacting Botanical gardens and they love that someone is intrested in what they have.

Cheers

les

operating now at 65% capacity, have since reigned in the delirium and crack usage.

i do love bottoms.

Experiment continues tonight when I ask the kids if I can make tea tree tea soup in our bath (any housemate objections will be taken outside and spanked)

photos will obviously ensue.

Keep us posted with how you go Adam!

I think I'll save the cork for the next tank & stick with the melaleuca (& gum) for this one as I've already collected a stack of it. I'm attacking my bits tomorrow & will embark on a similar photo essay to Ness. Let's get all smart & stuff.

I look forward to seeing the bath of tea tree tea!!

I love that I can reduce an educational thread about driftwood down to the size of a singular spanked bottom.

Thankyou so much to all my fans for picking up what i'm putting down...

I have been a lazy human, but the troublesome housemates are away this weekend, so guess who's going to be making tannin stains in the pink 50's bath TONIGHT!

Woo - big plans people. BIG plans.

x

I know that it is impossible for you to get bored with all the crazy stuff you've got planned for today, but, just in case you do find a lull in the middle of all the excitement please remember driftwood tea is not for drinking!