New Scape For Wilds

So, I set up my wild tank tonight. Here is what I did step by step...

1. Remove SBD Opaques from 1.75ft tank and throw them into outdoor tub. It's sink or swim time babies!!!

2. Clean Tank

1.jpg

3. Paint back and sides of tank to make the shy wild fishies feel safe :)

2.jpg

4. Add substrate (using the same sand recipe I used in the 4ft tank)

3.jpg

5. Fill with water

4.jpg

6. Attach Java Fern to driftwood and plant the tank

5.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks really nice and bushy, I'm sure they'll feel very much at home in there. Just don't forget the most important step with wilds ... adding a lid and some gladwrap. I've lost a couple through them jumping out and me not noticing until it's too late.

Lookin' good so far Jarrod :)

Just one point - I'd probably dump the mondo grass (sold as pongol for aquariums) as its not an aquatic plant and could end up rotting away and ruining your scape.....

See if you can get some nice mini chain swords or try blyxa japonica or something similar for a short leafy effect at the front.... also encourage some of the stem plants to float on the surface (careful you don't block out the lower plants though).

Thanks guys :)

@ Busman: It took forever to paint the back and sides and for it to dry between coats. Once done, I figured I had come this far, I might as well keep going...

@ Wildnut: already onto it. I was frantically tearing the fishroom apart looking for spare glass to use as a lid. Found a good piece that I can use along with some gladwrap :)

@ Fishbites: Damn, as I was planting the stuff, I was thinking "this stuff looks and feels a lot like mondo grass..." lol. At least it isn't wasted and can be moved into the garden. Was intending to let plants trail over the top but in the meantime, have duckweed and frogbit floating on top :D

Edited by shadoh

Loogs good! I hate it when shops sell terrestrial plants... I usually get my plants online now.

E. tennulus would probabaly be better than blyxa, my blyxa melts if it doesn't get enough light and with tannins in the water it might just get a bit to shady, E. tennulus needs a lot less light IME

Do you want me to bring some ludwigia sp. narrow leaf to the meet for you? I have a lot and its red :)

Hey Jarrod

I wish I was Artistic but I think I lean more towards the Autistic side LOL. I love what you have done and I do hope the Mahachi produce for you I realy like the look of the ones Matt had. I find the dwarf hair grass has grown fine for me and mine is in the garage with only medium light but there is nothing overshadowing it but it is slower than in the glass house where it grows rampant in those tanks. Please put me down as your first Mahachi customer.

Cheers

Les

You've got me down for a pair too don't you Jarrod? (hoping I actually have asked and I'm not loosing my mind *lol*)

I'll be interested to see how that plant grows for you, I managed to grow it in the pond but never submersed.

I'll have some E. Tennulus soon Jarrod if you want aswell, I'm just growing mine out :)

Something I observed from when I was a child, I used to visit a creek it grew in fairly often, after a large rain in which it ended up below the water line it would rapidly grow to the surface with in a day or two, I never saw it grow submersed though, fingers crossed it does, it would look very interesting.

The new lily type plant has just about reached the surface of the tank in 36 hours. Scary. I might walk into the fishroom in the morning and find I need a machete to get through the door *lol*

The tannins have kicked in and the tank is a nice amber colour.

Planted some new chain sword into the bare patches in the sand. If I was a wild Betta, I would feel comfortable in there :)

I introduced the Mahachai after the meeting tonight. The male coloured up straight away and the female is darkening up. I am sure she will be coloured up by morning. Both went straight into hiding once introduced. The female is more social of the two and is investigating the front of the tank while the male is busy finding spots to hide and retreat at the back :D

I am very happy overall with these fish. Thanks Matt :)

Hey Matt... Did someone say this pair of Mahachai was bred by Hermanus? I was out helping that guy push his car and walked in at the tail end of the conversation...