Advice needed please

Fletch

I have just got my co2 going. Light bulb is 12mths old so needs replacing. I will be going to Bunnings to buy 2, 3ft tubes, daylight type.

What sort of plants will this allow me to grow? Pics would be great as names dont mean much? What else do I need to do?

Thanks for any input. :-)

Not sure what the colour temperature of daylight type is. But most plants would require 6-7,000 K. Can be combined with 10,000 K so that your tank isn't overly brown :)

Also, how big is your tank? And the wattage of the bulb you are going to buy?

Plants that require heavy lighting need around 3+ watt per 8-12 L. But most plants are happy with 2 watt per 8-12L.

Seems like you're going to be able to grow a wide range of plants; since you're using 2 light globe.

I think most plants will be fine with 7000K.

As for wattage, most T8 bulb that goes for 2footer are 32W, if you're using 2 globe, it'd be plenty, I think.

And for the plants; it depends on what you are looking for too. If you want some carpet plants; you can use Riccia (I tied it to driftwoods, as it is floating plants, but if you want it to look 'carpetting', you can tie them to everything; or using glass slate as base)

DSCN1657.jpg

Or you can get some swords as main piece, they grow large (this one is pretty stunted because the substrate isn't deep enough. They prefer around 7cm I think, from memory.

DSCN1658.jpg

And some I can only mention names because I have never succeeded in keeping them; so I got no picture of them. So I'd suggest google for the image :lol:

Hemianthus callitrichoides

If you want 'bushy' feel:

Blyxa japonica

Some Rotala species also make for good stem plants if properly placed. I currently have the rotala but kinda covered in algae a bit. Rotala indica is my personal favourite

And, water sprites always good. They can grow really big :)

DSCN2315.jpg

A book I read recommended Vallisneria, but they always melt under my care :lol:

The main difference of T5 and T8 would be the size. T5 would have about 1.5-1.6 cm diameter and T8 would have about 2.5 cm diameter.

T5 are generally smaller in size (not in length)

T5 means its Tubular shape, and diameter of 5/8 of an inch

T8 means its Tubular shape, and diameter of 8/8 of an inch (which is 1 inch)

The amount of light that they can produce though, depends on each individual globe's specification.

Anything generally from 5000k to 10000k will be fine

The bunnings ones are tri phosphor 6500k from mememory sylvania or phillips or nec I think they are now marked 658 or something like that 65 is for 6500k the 8 eight is for t8

wattage is fairly std to the size of the tube and if it is t8 or t5 unless you are running t5 high output and I assume you are not if your shopping at bunnings

Again memory 2ft are 24w 3ft 30w and 4ft 40w this is for t8 give or take a little for manufacturer, I assume simillar for t5 unless speaking high output

for low light as suggested swords mosses crypts wisteria val and there are others Keep away from red plants generally

Blyxia personally will struggle (IMO) at lower light but a very nice plant and maybe worth a try

Ray

Got two Aquastar T8 30w 10000k lights. Tank a lot brighter. If this is now low light, must have been pitch black before. Fish a bit unsettled but should adapt.

My co2 bubbling away. Hope to see a difference soon. :-)

Ok a little more help with the info

Check out bunnings as there range is not as big with 3ft? but as per the conversation look for tri phosphur or aquarium light if they have them and aeound 6500k wil be fine.

The watts may vary a little should not be a problem as long as t8

as for tank being bright the fish will adapt and as plants grow it will block out some light

If you have a chance to get some wisteria from your LFS grab some as its cheap and depending on your nutrient level and fish stock and higher lighting it will help take up any excess even a few bits floating wont hurt

Also Joan and Neffy should be able to give some good advice on low low light plants and there threads should help

Also with the co2 dont expect to see instant results, allthough required by plants it just seems to bring it it all together or for me anyway

Ray

Also, monitor your pH with the CO2. I can't say much as I've never used CO2 gas for my aquarium, but have heard that they can crash your pH, especially at night when the light is out.

Good advice

Although DIY is not as big a problem it does pay to keep an eye on things

you can run an airstone at night if its a problem or just pull the line out at night, dont try turning off with a valve as you may find your bottle popping its top

Ray

Hi Paul, I'll bring some blyxa for you to try if I come Wednesday, if it grows I'llguve you some more but mine melts at less than 3.8 wpg or when it gets shaded by other plants. Lotus, crypts and aponagetons will also be good for your tank, I don't think I saw them mentioned.

Hi Paul, I'll bring some blyxa for you to try if I come Wednesday, if it grows I'llguve you some more but mine melts at less than 3.8 wpg or when it gets shaded by other plants. Lotus, crypts and aponagetons will also be good for your tank, I don't think I saw them mentioned.