Light setup for my tank

Eric,

Just curious, what fish are you going to keep in that tank?

For me, I try to go for the most effective way to light up my aquarium. So, if something cheap could do a better job then that's the way I would go. I find using the lamp with clamp is more practical as you can focus the light on your plants. This leave some areas in the aquarium shady to allow your fish to hide or sleep in the day.

If you get bored, you can even use the lamp as a table lamp. :D

I am no expert in substrate and plant wise. I normally have my plants floating or have java moss in my tank. Currently, I have Anubis in pot in my tank because I want a bare bottom tank. This allow me to clean the tank quicker. I would also recommend a sponge filter as well. This will also help with getting good bacteria to clean your water, keep your fish healthy and help remove bad stuff e.g. ammonia and nitrate from the water. If you think your plant will not survive in the tank, you can always go for a fake plant. Find one that looks natural not the fancy type you see in the pet shop. When I have time, I will show you my aquarium to show you what I mean when using this setup of using fake plant, floating plant, sponge filter to keep the water clean and fishes happy.

But, if you want more rarer plants to survive, maybe others who are more experienced than me could give you more help.

Good luck!

Eric,

Nice lush green tank.

Yeah you could do that too.

But, I think u need to find a proper lighting for that keep. I got myself a aquarium light at a local garage sale. Was a bargain for a dollar. It wasnt new but it was functionable.

Ask your LFS to see what they come up with and compare the prices and check in the forums about substrate mixture. I think there is a section for Aquascaping. I remember one of the forum members did post a topic up on what to use for substrate

:D