Crystal Shrimp tank

zhong89

I have setup yet another tank for another obsession, thanks for hearing about it so much from Hai and Mark I decided to setup my own little crystal shrimp tank!

I have bought 13 crystal shrimps (A grade) and got 3 crystal red shrimps (B grade) from Paul. All shrimps are very young so they're not yet ready to breed.

I'm using

Filter: twin sponge, sponge filter

Size: 20L tank

Plants: Java fern java moss (will remove the moss and then put in Christmas moss instead)

Light: small t5 light (considering removing it and put in a small LED lamp for low light plants)

Temperature: 22 C

I have about 2 handfuls of shell grit, about 3 large mystery snail shells for calcium and I have also added 2 large IAL for softer and an slightly acidic environment.

7a13b6c3.jpg

b71301f9.jpg

4d4ca2dc.jpg

69db2562.jpg

• 3 months later...

I bought a few berried females a few weeks back coz I just can't seem to get them to breed... Now that I've moved them in with my mum and started using rain water I have 2 berried females on their own!

Just a picture

DSC_0249.jpg

Edited by Joan

I now keep my fish tanks inside the garage and the temperature flucutates quite a bit. during hot days the water can easily get to 28 in the tank. There's no deaths (so far) and I have them breeding. I actually found two little black shrimps in my RED crystal shrimp tank...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's all about vertical isn't it?

Joan do you think the garage (I'm assuming bare concrete floor) keeps them cool?

My garage temps range from 4 to 42 throughout the year, so haven't as yet thought it a good idea for fish to inhabit.

Is it under the house or separate?

Anywayz - y'all can keep photographing the weird little lobsters, they're pretty amazing to look at, but I just want to feed 'em to my giants!

shhhhh

x

Oh wow, Joan! Looking great, so many. :D

Joan do you think the garage (I'm assuming bare concrete floor) keeps them cool?

Nessa, my room is the garage, and all my tanks are in it (well, until the fish room is finished, that is).

I've found with the axolotls/unheated tanks, it doesn't keep anything cool. Basically whatever the temp is outside, that is what it's like inside. During summer, all tanks can get above 30*C.. so I have to work to cool things down. In Winter they can get about 10*C on average, if unheated/without chiller. Also gets very humid, so that doesn't help keep the tanks down. I have a humidity gauge thing, it can easily get 80% humidity in my room... it's horrible!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've sent several batches of crystals to NSW in the last few weeks and they all arrived in good condition. It depends on how you pack it or it can just be plain bad luck. :alright:

shrimps are easier to keep than fish...