Current status of my tank

Hey Everyone,

Having just finished treating my tank after losing over 15 fish i am going to restock my tank next week however would like some ideas and suggestions to 'beautify' my tank lol. The lights and filter etc are the standard ones which came with my Aquaone AR850 but i havent noticed negative affects on the plants except i lost a flower on one and previous plants leaves fell off.

18082011201.jpg

I am open to ideas and suggestions i dont want to do anything which will require an excessive amount of time to maintain as i simply just dont have it with work and all. :)

EDIT: Just noticed this may not be in right section so please feel free to move if thats the case.

Edited by Shaun85

Can you tell us teh colour temperature (kelvins) and wattage of the light please? That will help us with what plants are suitable. I assume it is low light, if you move the stripey rock forward a little bit,a thicket of vals would look really nice behind it. I would move the anubius in front further back, it throws off the whole scale and makes the tank look small IMO

A new bulb will go a long way to brightening the tank and expanding the list of plants you can keep alive, and doesnt have to be exxy if you look in Bunnings for a white/blue spectrum or 'daylight' equivalent.

Agree with Matty about moving the awesome stripey rock forward some. Keep it off centre but maybe with the lower side of the slope towards the middle. Vals would probably do well in there, Java Ferns and more Anubias (what you have already) can be tied to wood/rock. Crypts & swords are other easy low light options, but you might have to pot them to have success.

Does the background go full width of the tank? Topping up the water level can help make things neater also.

I would also remove the air stone, splashing at the surface will remove precious CO2, is that a trickle filter on top? I would find an alternative for that too, it also will De-gas CO2, I don't have much success with plants if I have a trickle filter.

this wouldn't be the worst place to start... there's a few great links to aquascaping sites and masters.

it can all take it's self a bit seriously - but there's something mesmerizing about a well scaped tank - and they don't have to be million dollar productions, just good design approach.

Miss Neffy also went though a really fun process with her sorority layout.. and still is! There's some good feedback / ideas in there too.

-Ness

The water level is lower because i was just doing a 50% water change art the time cause the water was medicated for my huge fish loss. I have been told that the Aquaone tanks use bulbs that are of the size that they require you to buy aquaone branded ones to replace them is this true or just speculation?

I am gonna buy one of those tong things to move stuff around cause i am so sick of putting my arm in

<3 Cardinals!

I had an aqua one 510 a while back, it took the standard fluorescent bulb for that size without a hassle. Take your old bulb with you when you go shopping to save any drama.

Tongs & tweezers are great investments for planting, but you'll always end up getting wet anyway trust me! At least your water is heated - Try spending hours up to your armpit in freezing goldfish water this winter :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well i have changed my tank around slightly but still got alot more to go, however i will be draining my tank in a couple of weeks to move it into the lounge room so plan on adding plants to the back of the tank. I am thinking along the lines of swords with a low light requirement and just putting some dino dung under where i plant them.

So this is new look,

11092011278.jpg