Apisto cacatuoides

kertaz

Was quite excited that they finally spawned. :)

I feel like I'm doing a spawn log...

Father:

father.jpg

Mother:

Mother.jpg

Setup:

apisto.jpg

Loving the attention that they give to their spawn :)

The below pics are basically just the mother guarding the eggs

motherandeggs04.jpg

motherandeggs01.jpg

Hoping I can properly raise these ones as well :)

Edited by kertaz

Erm, somehow they moved the eggs somewhere else and I think the move didn't go too well. Now the female stopped guarding any cave and just get on with life. I figured she might have eaten the kids.

Then again, she's still in her golden yellow breeding colour, so I'd expect another spawn not very long.

Thanks all. It's pretty difficult sometimes to feed them :lol: Need to take into calculation the water currents and estimating where to shoot the BBS with the basters so that they land close to the fry location.

@Joan: I can't say a lot about Blue rams other than what I've read, as I've never spawn or even kept any. Seems like they're more tricky and it may take them a few spawns to finally take care of their fry (for me, sounds more like an Angelfish rather than Apisto)

At 2 weeks old, they're already at the same size; if not larger; with my 5 weeks Betta fry..

2weekapisto.jpg

Can see all their fins - ventral, dorsal, anal, caudal and pectoral (though need to pinch your eyes really hard to see the pectoral)

Hmm... Blurry pic this time <_< . They're getting harder to photograph as they start to move around much quicker than when they were smaller (basically they were just jumping around slowly when they were smaller, making it easier..)

Well... well.. While most of the fry are busy growing up, the parents mated again (not sure when, was too distracted with my Bettas) and now, under one of the driftwoods, there are more wrigglers! *lol*

The neat thing is, the female let two of the existing fry to help her care for the new wrigglers. So cute. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a lil update on how these guys are going:

With father:

update00.jpg

Some fry are starting to get patterns on the caudal too:

update.jpg

On a toilet break: (this one got the most patterns/colouration amongst the other fry so far, but everyone still developing)

update01.jpg

Thanks Busman and Sha.

While rearing this lot, the parents actually spawned 4 more times. But I think they all got munched by this first lot. After a day or two of the new spawn's free swimming, the female stopped their guarding stance, so I assumed the new lot would be gone. I am tempted to move this lot to the Betta spawn tank that I have, so that'd become their grow-out tank, but that have to wait for a week or two 'til I can be sure that I won't be getting any spawn.

At the moment, they're all in one tank to save up some space for the soon-to-be jarred Betta juvies. :lol:

This tank just got algae problem that I'm fighting hard with. I don't want to use any chemical but I don't want the tank to be covered in algae that I can't see them.

Maybe I should just reduce the lighting..

Edited by kertaz

Thanks Busman. They need a little bit more growing to do before I can sex the rest of the lots. When they're bigger and a bit older, and I'm confident they are healthy and can handle some stress, I'm willing to ship them interstate :)