emersed crypts

Due to the very informative and sound so easy presentation at the ASoV meeting last thursday I decided to try my hand at growing emersed crypts.

I bought a bag of crypts wendii (coz I lost at paper scissors rock with Hai... lol.) and trying my hand at growing them emersed.

The first time I had crypts I put them in my tank and had 50% success rate (of not melting). While their growth rate is not particular fast in my tank either. From what I've heard growing them emersed has a much high success rate and a higher growth rate and the most important thing is that they flower when emersed! so here I go

Equipments:

- Potting mix

- Lateriate

- Mini greenhouse

IMG_0165.jpg

Procedure:

Fill the mini greenhouse with about 7 - 8 cm of potting mix and mixed in with about 3 table spoon of lateriate

Dig a hole for the crypt plants to be in and put the plants in

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

Fill with water (I used my planted tank aquarium water due to I add trace element fertiliser and I assume there is some phosphate + nitrate from my tank too)

Put the lid back on and viola I have a emersed crypt setup. I believe this is either going to be really successful or crash and burn.

IMG_0169.jpg

Any tips or comments are really welcomed!

I have crypt lutea growing semi-emersed in one of my temporary tubs. The water is only shallow so a few of the larger leaves are completely out of the water. They don't show any signs of wilting even though there is no lid on the tub and the only humidity is that generated by my tanks.

One thing mine go nuts in, is propagating sand from Bunnings. They have been sprouting new leaves and sending off runners everywhere. I did grow some various crypts emersed in leftover aquasoil and they took off. A few of the larger leaves turned yellow and died, but it didn't take long for these to be replaced by new growth.

I think once you get over the initial melting and they establish themselves, most of the common species are pretty hardy.

Hi Joan

That looks like a great idea dose the propagater have a heat pad under it and is it therm control I might try it in mine once the Katapang seeds come out of there

Cheers

Les

• 3 weeks later...

My crypts are growing nicely! I see a few new shots out of both plants! I don't have any wilting so far. But I do put my crypts on top of my fish tank so it's reasonably warm and the whole container is usually quite humid.

Hi Joan

That looks like a great idea dose the propagater have a heat pad under it and is it therm control I might try it in mine once the Katapang seeds come out of there

Cheers

Les

I saw a mini green house at bunnings with a small heater underneath it! but I think it's going a bit far to grow some crypts. I'm considering to buy another mini green house to grow some anubias

too wet? I have my potting mix completely under water (due to my greenhouse is not water tight and one of the advice I got is to make sure there's enough water in the greenhouse). Only the leaves are on top of the water, I have yet to water my greenhouse but I have used my planted tank water so there's residual micro or marco elements in my fertilisers.

I have a few sprouts

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

The photos are not good but can you see the little sprouts? I'm hoping the roots are more extensive than the leaves

In Emmersed culture the water level is generaly kept below the substrate level, some crypts like it though, most species benefit from a lower water level, it stops algae competing with the plants too. If your worried about fungus capping the soil with a fine gravel will keep the leaves and crown away from decomposing organics which can grow fungus.

Are they wentii Joan?

• 2 weeks later...