Lame looking tank

Neffy

Thanks Joan i have been trying to google for information on the gum tree wood with no luck so ive been a little unsure. Its a tough call i might keep treating them (in a bucket and boiling) and see if i do find anything else :( do you know if they striped the bark off when the people said it did cause problems ?

I have seen dried up gumtrees in lakes before, that are teeming with fish however it could be the large body of water they dont have as much effect as in a tank. I also heard of all the bark running into river systems here from all the rain and floods and mass ammounts of fish dying in rivers and creeks :(

Edited by Neffy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops ive ment to update this even tho i really have nothing new. I have asked on other forums about the gumtree wood and it is safe to use, becasue of its density it can be hard to get it to sink. After stripping all the bark i left it out in the sun to weather a bit and then brought it in and poured boiling water on it in the sink (my pot is small) and i kept draining and adding more boiling water as it cooled down. Its since been sitting in the sink leeching and i havent really checked all of them but some sink when i push them about.

The plants are growing really well last weekend i trimmed all the stalks (they had grown to the surface) in half and re planted them. Guess i dont have to do anything with the lights.

I have a Sword plant it has a big stalk/stem comming off it and a new plant which has grown large with lots of leaves since i got it, do i cut the stalk or plant it its a bit hard to arrange if still on the stalk so id rather cut it off in some way but i dont want to kill it XD

the tank is still in "plants put everywhere so they dont die mode" but this weekend ill have time to aquascape it with the wood new rocks and healthy thick plants :D

The rocks i got are real special :D but ill leave it as a surprise for my update photo on the weekend!

The rocks i got are real special but ill leave it as a surprise for my update photo on the weekend!

That's not fair! :eadshake: Pleaseee? :truce:

Glad to hear the gumtree wood is safe, might find some later out the back. ^_^

oh i was going to be lazy and not get the pics off my camera untill after the betta meet (since ill have plenty) but here you go :P

The rocks are Boulder opal offcuts, not enough to be worth anything but they look there prettiest in water :D Im lucky to know someone who mines them for a living and i got these free <3

Im still working on getting some of the sticks to stad upright hehe they are a bit wonky here but i was exhausted !

Oh and thankyou everyone who posted photos and tips ! im very happy with the outcome and doubt it would of looked as nice without all your wonderfull imput :D

Edited by Neffy

Thanks !

I have a few more plans mainly about the driftwood, got some feedback about the tops of them being a bit harsh on the eyes so im thinking of making them look more tree like with moss !

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Since ive posted the photo for the aqua comp i thought i would put it here for comparison to the old photos!!

So much growth !!

No ill effects from the gumtree wood at all :)

Edited by Neffy

Since ive posted the photo for the aqua comp i thought i would put it here for comparison to the old photos!!

So much growth !!

neffy_class2.jpg

No ill effects from the gumtree wood at all :)

Hey Neffy looking good and has come a long way from the start

glad you have hidden the cut of ends of the wood

what is the 4 or 5 plants along the front of the rock (pogo?) if so it is not an aquatic plant or blyxia wich is a beutiful plant

recomodation as it is one of my favourtes and would add a large splash of color is a red lotus, your substrate would be fine but not sure about mimimum lighting requirements

Mine grown under metal halides but I beleive it will hold its red under medium light but not sure under low light

Ray

Edited by pritch33

Hi ray ! it was sold to me as Blyxia has been doign well except some of the tiny ones dont have many roots and keep being knocked loose :P always floating at the surface.

I will look into red lotus ive seen them arround quite a bit recently at the auction and meets, and i definetly agree more colour is needed :D i got some stem plants that where red but all the new growth grows in green so i dont know if the lotus would keep its red either :(

Blyxia is fine very nice plant can be a little diicult sometimes I have found and yes a pain to keep in the tank till it gets established

a good read here http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/10/blyxa-japonica.html if you need a little more info on its care

Red pllants can be a real pain generally lots of light and they all seem to love there iron and lots of it

The reason for suggesting the lotus is I beleive they are a true red plant and hold that color as aposed to most plants that only get that color when the above conditions I mentioned are met,hopefully someone can confirm this

If you are going to be at the fish fair coming up let me know and I maybe able to help you out with a small plant to try for sake of confirming if it does hold its color or not consider it a trial subject

The only thing with the lotus is they love there food but can be kept well with using root tablets and water ferts

not sure of minimum light reqiurements but I get the feeling they will just reach for the surface for the most light

Ray

Hi Ray!

I will be at the fish fair so id love to get a small plant to try, or if your interested the vic betta meet is this sunday (5th june)

I have some Flourish water ferts atm but im keen to get more some leaves on the crypts are starting to look a little sick so im sure im missing something. ill get some photos of it!

I will pot one up for you as they are a little small at the moment and it should be ok for when the fish fair comes around that way you can leave it in the pot until it has a chance to adapt to your tank

Put some root tabs under your crypts dino dung works well, osmocote native (freeze about 8 in ice cube tray), or manutec fern spikes (break into 3 pieces)and push into substrate around the roots

Ray

Did you know you cant receive PMs so here is a copy of my message

Hi Neffy

Seeing as I will be attending todays meeting I will bring along a lotus for you,

Not quite as big as I would have liked but I am sure you wont be dissapointed in it.

Just make sure to keep an eye out for the guy with all the plants.

Hopefully you will receive this before leaving today

Ray

ps hopefully someone will let you know about this so you keep an eye out for me